Thread: Sad and scared
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Mary Jo

Hi Terry,

I'm sorry you are experiencing the fears you are but they are normal feelings, for sure. Bill is correct in saying "it is normal to fear the unknown."

I, too, had mixed feelings on my last herceptin day. Of course I was happy to be finished with every 3 week visits to the "chemo" room BUT I also knew that herceptin was my "friend" in a major way, and wasn't ready to be done with "it."

On a positive note.................my last herceptin treatment was Oct. 11, 2006 and here I am today, still NED and moving forward each day.

One day at a time........that's all any of us can do. No one knows what our future holds but for "us" it's even a bit more unsure (if that makes any sense) BUT stay focused on the day called "today" and live for it. It will help make the "journey" less stressful.

As for treatment options using herceptin.....I, too, asked all those questions. I was told that "for now, herceptin given for 1 full year is the standard of care and seems to be all that's necessary." I'm sure that in time, as statistics start being released and more studies are done we will find out more answers about the use of herceptin.

Hugs to you both........

Mary Jo

P.S. I always wondered why we couldn't do a maintenance type herceptin treatment.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28