View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
Carol Carlson

I was diagnoed in 3/04.. 2.2cm idc 4/18 nodes postive , er/pr/ neg and her2 positive.
Not having ANY knowledge of what being her2+ meant, I started my search. When I did find out, I was very concerned After my surgeries I started my standard chemo and asked my onc. about herceptin which I had read about. She said the studies were still on going and that there was a real concern about the cardiac side effects. SOOOOOO I cont. with my standard stuff and rads. until Oct. of '04. When I went back for a check up in May, she discussed the woderful and hopeful results of the findings and that since there was no protocol at the time about how effective it would be to receive after having been out of standard chemo for 9 months. She called her expert friend at Dan Farber about whether there was a protocal yet on stage 1-2 B.C. pateints receving Herceptin. His answer was bascially. gosh we don't have enough data yet to determine whether or not early stage patients, being out of standard chemo for more the 6 months would actually benefit.
Fortunately, my onc. encouraged me to go on it for a year and they would do the reg cardiac untrasounds to pick up any change or lowering of LVF. I received it for a year and so happy I did. However, at the time they prety much left the ball in my court because they did not have the comprehensive data that they have now.
Over the last 3 years, they do have emperical data to determine that, indeed , it should be given to her2 patients.
When I first found out that I was her2pos., I just figured well, this is Murphy's law.... if I'm going to get something, it's gotta be big and nasty.
I'm now a 4 year survivor and I don't have the same " dread" that first occured when I was diagnosed. I feel that we her2 gals and guys are going to have a much better shot at recovery. Thanks to drugs like herceptin.
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote