View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
MAB1943

thank you, I started chemo dec 15 2006, once every weeks for 4 treatments. when I started the herceptin it was w/taxol and I began that in Marach of 07, it was once a week for 12 weeks then it was herceptin solo once every 3 weeks to complete a year. In april I had a code blue incident during a stress test and was diag as cardiac arreythemia which is being treated. Every 3 months I got my muga scan and my percentage went from 98% before to 65% then 53% and the last one was up to 62%. My dr. took me off the herceptin for 1 month at that time and I missed 1 infusion then I also missed one of the 3 week herceptin infusions recently. I started in March 07 and will go until end of march 08 this year. On my last apt Jan 4 My onc.'s nursing assistant who is new gave me
the panic routine and told me the herceptin would not benefit me now, because I missed these treatments. She said if I continued on it would be of little benefit now because the data says 12 months of herceptin.
I wanted to get 3 more in to complete a year but she said it wouldn't work now. I was on herceptin with the taxol for 12 weekly treatments and then in June I was finished my weekly taxol/herceptin and started the 3 wk intervals of herceptin again. I was dumbfounded by her attitude.
When my dr came in I asked her about it and she said there was NO data to prove it would or wouldn't make a difference but that the data she had required 12 continuous months of herceptin. I reminded the onc that she took me off for a month and put me back on it again when I had the cardiac problem, her response was that it was medically necessary to do it so it was ok. I asked my onc to let me have the 3 more treatments until the end of march and she agreed, but it left me a little nervous. thanks for letting me vent.
Mary
MAB1943 is offline   Reply With Quote