View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
TriciaK

Just thought I would add my different viewpoint on ports. I am probably one of the few who are really happy to still have a port, even though I have not been on chemo or herceptin for some time now. My port has been in for three and a half years, and I hope to leave it in as long as possible. In fact my oncology nurse said it would be good for 5 years at least. It's not that I expect to need it again for chemo, but because of heart failure and cardiomyopathy I use the port for frequent blood tests and used it for my open heart surgery. I just don't have any accessable veins. My port is not that unsightly, and one small stick sure beats the 6 or 8 I used to have to endure while they hunted for a blood vessel that wouldn't collapse. I would probably feel like everyone else and want it out under different circumstances, but as it is, I am grateful for it. I just have it flushed once a month, though even that is usually after having a blood test. Hope getting rid of yours works for you, though! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote