View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Hopeful

For those with any doubts about switching AI's to lessen symptoms, here is an abstract from San Antonio which concludes that at over half of the women with joint symptoms on one non-steriodal AI had improvement of symptoms by switching to another: http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/...u=SABCS07L_631

I, too, have had a lot of issues with AI therapy. I started on Femara Oct. 1, 2006, and developed severe tinnitus after being on it for 6 weeks. I switched to Arimidex, and the tinnitus lessened, but did not go away. However, I developed severe pain in my thumb joints and hands in general so that gripping things became impossible (much like my 92 year old mother). I went back on Femara briefly (for about 2 weeks), and the joint pain went completely away, but the tinnitus got worse. So, back on Arimidex for 9 months, until I could no longer stand the pain in the hands. I have been back on Femara now for around a month, and the tinnitus has not yet worsened, and the joint pain has tremendously improved. Through all of this I have had chronic constipation that has caused me to stop taking the calcium pills that I was able to take pre-AI's, as well as an exacerbation of vaginal atrophy, such that I now supplement with Estrace cream. IMO, these drugs are aging us 40 years in 2 months. This is a huge quality of life issue, and many patients are terminating treatment early due to side effects. Here is a link to an abstract from last month's bc conference in San Antonio on the topic: http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/...=SABCS07L_1040

I have discussed these problems with my onc without a resolution to my satisfaction. The protocol for Arimidex does not have a light dosing regimen, but Femara does, for women with impaired liver function. I have asked my onc about every other day dosing, vs. every day dosing, as, according to the package inserts, these meds have very long half lives and will stay in our systems for something like a week after we stop taking them. He told me he has only done this for one very elderly patient with co-morbidities. I do not see myself staying on these drugs for 5 years at this rate. I told the onc that, and he said he understood. That being the case, I don't see why I can't at least try the lighter dosing schedule, if it means the difference between stopping them altogether and at least trying to stay with the therapy in some form.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote