View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #13
pffida

Herceptin every week versus every three weeks

While taking herceptin every three weeks, I developed cardiomyopathy. Symptoms were an unproductive cough that kept me up at night, plus my pulse was generally in the 100-120 range. After many tests (CT scan which showed a small nodule in lung lining, echocardiogram, PET to research the lung nodule, stress test), the oncologist pointed the problem to herceptin. My ejection fraction was 45-50%.

So, I was off herceptin for a month, visiting the cardiologist. My BP medicine was changed from Lisinopril (may cause coughing) to Toprol (which does a better job at reducing pulse). After a month off, I'm back on Herceptin weekly, as the oncologist felt I would tolerate the lower dose. After two months of weekly Herceptin treatments, I'm having no side effects. Pulse is down to normal -- I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he's pleased with my progress.

Weeklly treatments are a pain, but the sacrifice is worth it for the hope that Herceptin gives.

If you don't have any side effects of the Herceptin, I'd sure go for the treatments every three weeks. If heart problems start, discuss weekly treatments with your oncologist. I also had AC, so that probably contributed to the heart problems.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote