View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
fullofbeans

hi all, again thanks for bringing this up. Christine I cannot rememnebr seeing the study you mention but yep would be good.

Anyhow I have just sent this email to the guy with the poor suggestion.

Dear Dr Kirkbride,
I understand that you have recently commented on the redirecting money from new therapeutic drug such as Herceptin.

I find your view extremely disturbing. Herceptin and the myriad of other Her targeted pathways in development offers a lot of hope for thousands of woman. Just as radiotherapy has its role so does immunotherapy it is not and should not be one or the other.

According to the latest Eurocare study there is a 16% variation in the 10 years survival rate between France and the UK. However France spend the same amount of money per cancer patient but have the latest available drugs free of charge.

I am a 35 y/o metastatic BC patient currently in remission and grateful for herceptin.

Disallowing patient with aggressive cancer access to what is now a conventional drug is in my opinion a very narrow minded way of thinking. I cannot think of a single oncologist that would not prescribe Herceptin to their daughter if she was Her2 +, as I am sure you would.

Considering that the UK GDP is one of the highest in Europe how can someone think in such term? Radiotherapy is important but so are new drugs it is not either or are often a combination of treatments are required. The number you quote is that patient benefiting cost £200k /year. I understand that MP beyond their salary cost £118k/year in various expenses. Cutting off Herceptin on the basis of cost in a rich country like the UK sound like a policy a crooked African country would adopt. Denying the chance to these people is a statement you should understand the weight of.

Best wishes
Karina

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote