View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Lolly

Here's a link to a discussion on this site earlier this year, with Dr. Walt Carney, who helped develop the Her2 Serum Test. It's interesting, but want to point out that in one of his responses he says the Serum test is NOT used to indicate Her2 status. However, the test IS useful if one's tissue originally tested negative for Her2, as an elevated Serum level would indicate the test was possibly a false-negative and the tissue should be retested or a biopsy done.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ht=walt+carney
"...The serum HER-2/neu test is cleared by the FDA for monitoring blood levels of the HER-2/neu protein in women with metastatic breast cancer. So it is indicated for patients with metastatic breast cancer. Studies have looked at patients who have received a variety of therapies including hormone therapy. The test is indicated in patients with metastatic breast cancer, regardless of treatment and is valuable in monitoring changes in serum HER-2/neu levels. Increasing serum HER-2/neu levels reflect progression and decreasing levels reflect response to therapy. Having values below 15 ng/ml only tells us that the number is normal, it doesn’t tell us if you are HER-2/neu positive..."

<3 Lolly

Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote