View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Joannie

Unhappy Anti-depressants

Good Afternoon:
Just wanted to see if I get could some thoughts from those of you who have been on anti-depressants.

In short, here is my story:
After I finished my last chemo treatment, I had more anxiety than ever. I ended up getting a lump in my throat for which my internist did a scope procedure on me just to put my mind at ease. She knew right off the bat it was from anxiety/depression. She put me on Celexa. It helped tremendously and I could honestly say that when people asked me how I was doing, my answer was "Great!" I ended up having to switch to Zoloft because insurance would no longer pay for Celexa. Zoloft was bad for me. Made the anxiety worse. She then put me on Lexapro. It worked just fine. I had been on anti-depressants for about 4 years. Several times I tried to taper off the Lexapro and go off of them but to no avail. I felt bad, cried alot and was very short with everyone around me. I ended up being able to manage to only have to take 10 mg a day for quite some time and that worked great. I got a new family doctor this fall and expressed my interest in trying to get off this drug due to the 30 pounds that I have gained over the last 4 years. It's probably not my entire problem, but since I've been off, I've lost almost 9 pounds in 7 weeks! I went off for a month, felt lousy, and asked to try something else. She put me on Welbutrin, for which I've been on for about 2 1/2 weeks. I feel badddddddddddd. Crying at the drop of a hat, feel angry/miserable inside just about all the time. I just don't feel like myself at all. I am reluctant to go back on Celexa because I really want to continue to take the weight off. However, I just can't go on feeling like this.

Have any of you had any experience with anti-depressants? I would appreciate any input you might be able to provide. Today has been a pretty bad day. Need to try to get a handle on the situation! I know that Celexa/Lexapro and Wellbutrin are two different classes of drugs. It appears that the Wellbutrin is not working. The Celexa worked on helping with Seratonin. I am thinking that is what I'm lacking.
Joannie

Diagnosed April 2003
3.3 cm tumor left breast
HER2 positive 3++
ER/PR negative
Masectomy April 2003
4 Rounds of AC - dose dense
4 Rounds of Taxol - dose dense
Removed right breast prophalactically
Full reconstruction with implants/nipples
No Late Herceptin Received
Started Tykerb TEACH Trial in May 2007