View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
caya

Hello Hermiracles,

I live in Canada, and I had the FEC - Taxotere chemo regime. It is a very commonly used chemo combo used here and in other commonwealth countries. I had 3 rounds of FEC, then 3 of Taxotere. I had a one month break, and then started Herceptin. I am on the 3 week infusion cycle of Herceptin - had # 8 of 17 today.
My onc. told me that Herceptin is rewriting the books on Her2 neu - so don't look at any articles etc. that are more than 1 year or 2 years old - basically ancient history. Turning a "poorer prognosis" into a much better one. He told me my chemo regime was the most potent out there for me - and I welcomed it.
We also have universal health care in Canada, and Herceptin was actually approved for early stagers here about a year before it was in the U.S. Don't worry about your port - it will be your best friend. If you like, you can put some EMLA cream (lidocaine in the US), a numbing agent, on your skin where your port is, before each infusion. I do this every time, then there is no pain with the IV needle.
Sorry you have to go through this, especially with your adorable little ones, but you will get through it.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote