View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #18
jml

Hi Sherry~
Hang in there w/the q3week Herceptin dose! It is sososo nice not having to go to the infusion center EVERY week.
I had been on the qweekly dose after finishing the 1st year of chemo, but found I couldn't tolerate the q3week/30min dose either - SO SORE! I felt like I had SEVERE arthritis from my skull to my tailbone and flu'ish too.
I eventually switched back to the qweekly dose.
BUT, when I switched Onc. & began treatment at a new center, I tried the q3week dose over 90 mins (that's the standard protocol @this new place. i asked if they could run the infusion over 30 mins & they said No.) and I've tolerated it really well.
No more severe arthritic pain, still mildly flu'ey w/in 24 hrs, but a couple of tylenol takes care of that.
I don't know if it's the slower, longer infusion time or the fact that I've been on maintenance Herceptin since 2003 & I've just adapted to this dose, but I much prefer the freedom of this schedule. (Unfortunately, that's changed as I've had to resume chemo for a couple of naughty supraclavicular nodes...)
Hang in there, try a slower, longer infusion as well as the other helpful suggestions posted here.
Hope your next time around is more tolerable!

Prayers, Faith & Courage~
jml is offline   Reply With Quote