View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #75
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Port...tummy Issues...and More...

Hi y'all! Must say, getting a PORT is the best thing I ever did. I love it. And it loves me. I am totally protective of it. Will not allow just any one to access it. Check that I am being given saline before and after w/heploc. This is my 2nd one and I want it to live another 50 yrs at least...

I remember my tummy issues. Major IBS came w/Taxotere and did not go away when done. Daily pain, spasms, somersaults going on in there, and my stomach would get hard as a rock. Chemo ate away at my stomach lining I was told. Took every med they have, w/little relief. Took 20 Imodium a day, most days, just to try and maintain a *normal* (HAH HAH!) life style...

Ate -- like a hamster. Ummm... Had flavored oatmeal w/raisins I added (when I felt up to *cooking*). Ate a handful of nuts on the shuffle from room to room. Ate two bites of a pasta, a pretzel. Hungry, but then, couldn't eat. Would push my plate to the middle of the table, I often couldn't tolerate the SMELL! I lost 33 lbs and never looked better, but for the bald head and no eyebrows or lashes. Makeup, a wig, some earring to be sure and I was a knockout, if you didn't mind cherubic cheeks/moon-face from Dexymethazone (steroid, day of and day after was my onc's rule back in the day). I swear I recall my MJ (fav onc) telling me that now not every one loses their hair from Taxotere (?different dosing). I just remember saying, OH, GREAT. Too bad for me. Good for others. Yet, I'm reading -- bald. Heard something about a little known ICEPACK (to wrap your head in when getting?? chemo). I pictured a showercap. Don't know. Most oncs don't know. But I have a friend -- a 30 yr SURVIVOR of bc -- who did not lose her hair -- all those many yrs ago -- because of the icepack thing. I'm just saying...

So eventually Effexor (which is an anti-depressant and couldn't hurt) is also supposed to help HOT FLASHES. I am in my 23rd yr of this *phase* that is non-stop hell. So I take the Effexor. And I'm happy. I'm ME. I still have the hot flashes. BUT -- no more tummy issues! It cured the IBS. I no longer live with daily pain, diarrhea, spasms, grumbling, rumbling, topsy turvy tummy. Occasionally, I take 1 Imodium and I'm good to go. Hope this helps at least 1 person!

With love,
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote