View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
AlaskaAngel

Red face glucose

I think of any glucose as being fast food for cancer, whether it is honey or "natural" brown sugar or maple syrup... Maybe cancer is going to take whatever it needs no matter what fuel you eat and whatever is left is what goes to the rest of our body, who knows... but among all the lousy things we end up having to do to deal with cancer, I think steering clear of providing extra energy to it might actually be an important and nontoxic thing to do. And I too love chocolate.

Becoming menopausal does seem to slow down metabolism. Prior to treatment I had what I now consider to be merely pesky problems with keeping my weight in check compared to the ongoing struggle to deal with it now. I never dreamed it would take 5 years to lose the weight I gained during treatment from the added steroids. For the first couple of years I stubbornly kept doing the things that I used to do prior to bc that always worked to help me lose weight. But finally I had to admit to myself that they didn't work anymore, and I would have to stop being so stubborn about it and I would have to do more to lose weight than I really like to do. To me it is still unbelievable how little I am able to eat just to maintain and not gain weight, compared to how much I could eat before treatment without gaining.

I don't know what to say here except to say what I did personally. Maybe it doesn't work across the board for everyone. But I decided to take one small step at a time. I gave up sugar and substituted Stevia for it. It was hard to get used to, but I finally understood that something more had to go. And to me the possibility that giving it up might also be protective against cancer helped me to stick with it.

I've taken other steps too. But I think taking the first difficult step and sticking with it is what makes a real difference in the outcome.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote