View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile TYKERB/XELODA done for me......maybe

Hi all -

I went to my onc yesterday after my scheduled blood work and found that my CEA tumor marker had doubled since my last labs.

CEA - 7.5 UP FROM 3.4
27-29 - DOWN TO 38 (WHICH IS GOOD)

Since I seem to be to be more sensitive to the CEA, we are thinking that my remaining tumor is once again starting to progress. This always seems to be my pattern. In any event, I will see him again next week to talk about setting up scans and next plan of action if we find this is what is happening.

I dont want anyone that is on this combo to get discouraged by this new's but since we "as a sisterhood" share all of our thoughts and feelings, I wanted to get some advise. I have to say that I got a YEAR out of this combo and it's been years since I had that much time on any one drug. SO THAT IS A VERY GOOD THING.

I am considering trying and will speak to my onc about trying AVASTIN (he was on vacation yesterday so I actually was seen by his assistant ) in combination with a chemo.

I have heard good things about Avastin and that is the drug I was going to try before I found the Tykerb/Xeloda trial. Has anyone had any experience with this chemo and/or in combo with something else. The concept of how it works sounds good anyway. I was thinking hopefully staying on the Tykerb and adding Avastin (and maybe something else)
WOW - I never in my life thought I would be discussing so much about medicines and here I am.

I get my best info from this board and I know lots of us have had experiences that not even the doctors know about.

Anything anyone can bring to the table would be great and I will check out with my onc and see what he thinks. I am not even sure if I can be approved for the Avastin since it has not been actually passed for Breast Cancer as yet.

Thank you again ladies and please know that this combo is a very good thing. Like I mentioned, it got me one whole year and could even do better for you.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote