View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #47
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Smile kat in the delta

Hi,
Her2 is either positive or negative...You can have your Onc. look at your Biopsy report and YOU need a copy--make more...
There are 2 tests to tell if Herceptin will even help you and if you should even bother to take Herceptin.. =One is the F.I.S.H. test.... The other test is the ICH test,but the ICH is not 100%(done by human eyes ) looking at amount of stain on speciman ,which may appear to whoever is looking at it,, Her2 ++,or Her2+++(more heavily stained), or no staining= Her2- .
You still need to demand a F.I.S.H. test.to affirm you are definitely Her2(positive)..or Herceptin would be a waste of time. My surgeon is very good, but my onc was just going to go by the ICH test, ONLY.. My Surgeon said to tell him to send my biopsy off to have a FISH test run on it also. This is what I demanded of my ONC, and he finally did send it off ..
My FISH TEST came back positive. The FISH test is the only true test which would show HER2+++ ,and can be done after the first ICH test. I am also Er+, and PR- like you. If you are even slightly ER+ like me, then after all the IV chemos...you will need to have a test run on you to see if you are Pre or Post menapausal.. This would then determine if you would take Tamoxifen, ?, or one of the Aromatose Inhibitors(3, so far)...to decrease the risk of your cancer returning. But, other factors- as low bone density - are considered to determine the correct RX to stop your body from producing more Estrogen which is only feeding the cancer and will make it possiby return.
If you are Post but are at risk for Osteoporousis..your Onc. may try Tamoxifen instead of the A.I. I was Post. by a blood test, but because I am on the border of osteop. , my Onc is giving me Tamoxifen.. I may go and have a 2nd opinion on this, and because He wanted to put me on Zometa(IV) every 3 months... For the PR- I am doing nothing, and do know if anything is done for those with a positeve PR status... I got finished a yr ago with surgery, rads. all chemos , taxol with herceptin and then 1 yr. of only herceptin.. and had started Zometa every 3 months with Tamoxifen...but will check this out.... Kat in the Delta