View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Becky

Dear Kelly

I am just a few weeks away from my third cancerversary. The only thing I am afraid to move on from is my employer. I moved in February, 2006 (18 months out from dx) because I NEVER liked the house I was in and swore I wasn't going to die there. It was exhausting to move (I was still on Herceptin having been one of the lucky ones who could receive it "late"). My husband and I went on an alone vacation - the only one we've had since having our daughters and it was planned and paid for 7 months in advance.

My problem with my job is many fold. I got a new assignment which isn't really what I want to do. I could leave but there are many things to consider. These include that I get a pension at this company (many companies (including this company) do not give pensions to new employees - they might match more 401K $ but no pension), I have been there and get short and/or long term disability if I should recur (a new company would give you this after you have worked there a year - what if I leave and recur quickly?), and lastly, I have great benefits in which I do not need referrals and they've denied me nothing so far (I wouldn't leave without benefits that didn't cover pre-existing conditions). But I would much rather be in sales (I was a sales mgr - rather just be a rep) and now I am in marketing (ughhhh).

So, we all have our fears of change - I will probably not leave as in 6 years, I can retire (they have this age and years of service thing) and I will still be young enough to do my own thing.

You need to weigh the job's benefits to the chance of recurrence but the other perks of the new job. You are younger than me (by 10 yrs) so you don't have 23 yrs at the company you are currently at. However, you have decades to live and earn a living (and to buy that bigger new house you need NOW). So, start small - get the house. You and your family need a bigger house and will need it regardless of your situation. And its fun to get and redo your way (new paint and wallpaper - maybe furniture too). The job could come later except for the fact that this job is available now. But it is one job and there might be dozens that are also perfect for you too.

I didn't want to wait on everything because I figured that if I did, I really would die in my old house - of old age, frustration and boredom. Lots of people thought I was nuts (probably some on this board as I reported my massive packing project) but it was one change that has made the world of difference to me. Next stop, job hopping maybe.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote