View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Becky

Welcome

I had an oophorectomy about 2 years ago. My gyne said that there was no need to remove the uterus because the recovery was longer and I got the ovaories removed because my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer and I wanted to go onto Arimidex (I had been premenopausal prior but older than you at the time (46)). I was BRCA negative as well.

No regrets. I do have dryness and UTI issues but they have been solvable with meds. The uterus does not have to be removed to gain the positives of no estrogen. Just Monday I had a pelvic scan as a baseline and all was well - good and dried up so to speak. All you have to watch is the bones and I have another bone density to schedule now. I took Zometa IV while on Herceptin to beef up my bones but they were ok but not great before. Ask away if you have any other questions. AIs are better than tamoxifen for those of us who are Her2+ and hormone positive. I have experience no joint pain.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote