View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #67
Heart Sutra

Victor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning" referenced above contains one perfect line that stands out and has been demonstrated as true in both mine and Sue's experience. Nothing too philosophical here... (Doesn't really speak to this issue either )
The line is:
"He who has a WHY to live can bear any HOW."

This has little to do with positive thought, or mind body connections, sickness, health, or even happiness for that matter. Take from it as you wish, or not at all. There is truth there though.

Yes, going over one's past certainly can explain a lot about who you are today, and a calm mind is more likely healthier than a stressed one, and yes extreme stress can wear on the body as well as the mind, but it doesn't necessarily follow then that a positive mind can cure illness. This is flawed reasoning.

It is more likely that a positive attitude can't hurt, and nothing more or less.

We see the original post as sincerely written with good intentions. We don't need to agree with it to see that there wasn't any suggestion to stop treatments, or to abandon modern medicine for therapy sessions, or prayer sessions, or even the diet du jour for that matter... it seems to be an opinion expressed out of goodwill. There's our 2 cents.

All anyone has, cancer or not, is this moment. In this moment, We're glad you're all here mixing it up for a change.
And... big P.S. for those of you who focus on this sort of thing ( you know who you are ). Sue and I write together, She's made me edit out my diatribe, which I really enjoyed writing too -- Probably for the best.

Thank you for being here in this moment

Dx'd 10/06 IDC grade III/III
Er- pr- HER2 3+
MRM right breast 12/5/06
nodes negative
same day reconstruction started
(implants)
Stage II (2.2 cm tumor)
fairly extensive DCIS
Ct and Bone scans clean
Port placement 12/26/06
AC (4 cycles DD)to begin 1/2/07
Taxol/Taxotere (4 cycles DD)
Herceptin for one year

"There is no distinction between the one who gives, the one who receives, and the gift itself."- Hahn
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote