View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
AlaskaAngel

Thank you RB, for starting this wonderful discussion.

TESTOSTERONE: Donna, my onc also mentioned that testosterone breaks down into estrogen (and as RB carefully noted, DHEA is not a good idea either). So I chose to try to see if I could contribute genuinely to this question. In 2004 I was a participant in the clinical trial testing whether or not the use of low-dose testosterone was harmful for those with bc. I have tried repeatedly to get the results of that trial without success. Today I tried again by phone contact with the trial site where I participated, without success. I will write a letter again to try to find out what, if anything, they learned from the trial. (If that doesn't work, I will see if my congressional office can tackle this.)

BIO-IDENTICALS: "I took estradiol [or rather, estriol], progesterone, and testosterone. I think it would be unwise to call these bio-identicals protective." Well, I think the key here is not that the bio-identicals are not protective or are unwise, but rather that maybe it is important to take a better look at what proportion of each bio-identical hormone should be used for each woman's situation. Because there is so little documented, clinical-trial based information about natural substances due to the lack of economic support for them by profit, the use of bio-identicals may fail because of lack of documented data on how to best balance them. As Robin mentioned to me, compounding can end up being less accurate as well.

AlaskaAngel

ESTRIOL vs ESTRADIOL: I was given an Rx for estriol vaginal cream by an OB-GYN. I literally could not use it long enough to find out what effect it might have because the vagina was so tight and dry and friable and easily torn that applying it caused a too much discomfort and bleeding. So I am on the Estring. But my question is, why isn't there enough interest for the production of a vaginal ring that contains estriol instead of estradiol? Is it the question of making more profit by using the horse variety of estradiol?

Robin, are the studies that talk about the use of progesterone with estrogen increasing the risk those studies that are based on synthetic progesterone, or bio-identical progesterone?

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote