View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
pattyz

Tricia,

I was dx'd Stage IIIb in Jan. 2000. Inflammatory and Invasive. There were two tumors (3.8cm & 1.9cm) upper and lower inner quadrants. Six nodes positive of 26. Er+ Pr- but not til I recurred was I tested for Her2, which then showed +++ for that, too. My right breast was the typical orange peel look from mid nipple down.

My whole first bc experience was in Mexico, as I had no insurance. I had surgery first. Then A/C. No rads at all. But that was my decision based on no more money...

Yes, I recurred two plus yrs later. I've had mets to mediasinal nodes, spots on lung and pelvis...and to brain.

My body is NED since late 2002, with 2 recurrances of brain mets. I have been living with 8 brain mets for two yrs now. They have responded to Xeloda/Temodar. Initially, I had focalized rads to 16 brain mets over the course of 18 months with five seperate treatments.

So, my point is, ( I think! ) that I did not recur to breast area forgoing rads. They would not have addressed the mediastinal nodes. The horse was already out of the barn, so to speak... AND I was not tested, thus not treated with Herceptin way back then... I'm sure that would have been to my advantage.

When I was finally dx'd with mets and found to be Her2+++ (by surgical biopsy) receiving Navelbine/ Herceptin for just a few months put this old body NED.

Somehow, I have way passed my 'expiration date', both for Stage IIIb and for brain mets: seven+ yrs and four 1/2 yrs.

Only you can make the decision to have or not to have radiation. However, I don't regret NOT having rads and feel that doing so would not have changed the course of my bc. Having Herceptin back then...now that could have made a big difference.

Hope this ramble has given you something helpful, anyway...

very best, hopeful wishes to you,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote