View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Merridith

Because Dichloroacetate is already an approved medication for certain types of human metabolic disorders the doctors already know the maximum doses that can be given as well as potential side effects. From what I have read, the typical patient taking "normal" doses (not in combo with other meds) experiences little to no side effects. This is why, once enough money is raised, the doctors are hoping to start the clinical trials at a "Phase 1-2" stage immediately. The pure phase 1 stage isn't necessary because the dosage data already exists.

This is the reason that I posted this information.

As we all know, chemo certainly has side effects. And as for myself, I know if I thought that my options had run out and the end was visible, I would certainly be putting my hands on this medicine - even if it were only to give myself a bit of hope.

Since this medication is already approved for a different disorder, I believe that doctors can prescribe it off-protocol. How many would is a different question - but certainly a few would.

There is no reason to take the stuff that has been rendered for animals or take ridiculous doses that are likely to cause side effects. The website clearly indicates that there is only indirect proof through animal studies - which often don't translate to humans - that it will work. This is definately a crap-shoot.

My rational for taking it would be the same reason for volunteering to take an experimental vaccine. Both offer a ray of hope - and even if they were to do absolutely nothing to aide me - they are not that dangerous to take and they offer a potential upside versus a definate downside. I would be prepared to take my chances.

Each person on this walk has to make their own choices. Some with food changes, some seek alternative medicine, others meditate or do lifestyle changes. Me? I'm the kind of person that would roll the dice.
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote