View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Eric - I know how scared you both must be..

My story is a long one, so I will make it short....

I pray that what I about to tell you gives you both hope. I hesitate sometimes to tell my story because I fear it will discourage someone because I have not been cured. I just felt I wanted to let you both know that life can go on and never, never give up. I can feel your desperation.

I have been a breast cancer survivor for the last 11 years. Mine first metatisized to my liver and I had two tumors there for several years. I was on Herceptin for 6 years after having a stem cell transplant done in 1999 even with recurrences since we believed that maybe, JUST maybe it WAS holding it off some from spreading further. I had the abalation procedure done and unfortunately it recurred in the liver(that does not mean everyone's would do the same) Some people have been successful with this procedure.

. The next year we resected half of my liver and it has been clean since. That was in 2004. I must say that I have had another recurrence in two lymph nodes outside of the liver, but with new treatments I continue to go on.I am on the TYKERB/XELODA trail since last August and so far so good.

What I mean to say Eric and Caryn - I am STILL living after 11 years and hope to go on for many more. Never give up hope. The crazy thing about this is that everyone needs to find what works for them. It's not an easy process to go through and I spend a lot of time checking out new procedures.

I am an example of a person "LIVING" with cancer for the last 11 years (as stressful as that may sound) I consider myself very blessed.

I hope I did not go on too much but just wanted to let you and Caryn know that there is always hope.

My prayers for Caryn. If there is anything or questions I can help you with, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Good luck
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote