View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
heblaj01

Janet,
It is difficult to draw conclusions about the merits of Avemar in cancer treatment due to the small scale of the few clinical trials using this product. One positive point is that it appears to be non toxic & in the lab does not affect the mode of action of several chemo drugs on cancer cells.
Regarding the specific case of breast cancer the only detailed info I could find was this extract:
http://www.avemarresearch.com/pdf/05_Avemar.pdf
QUALITY OF LIFE
Breast Cancer
A multicentric clinical study of Avemar in breast cancer is still ongoing. However, a QOL study involving Avemar use in breast cancer patients has been completed.31 A total of 55 patients were enrolled in the study at Szeged Unversity Clinic of Surgery, and gauging of QOL and changes in it were based on the EORTC QLQ-C30 questionnaire. Main baseline characteristics included: mean age: 55 years; UICC stage: I: 8, II: 19, III: 15, and IV: 13; concurrent therapies: chemoradiotherapy: 10, chemotherapy only: 9, radiotherapy only: 2, and none in 34 cases. The mean observation period was 32 months. Several components of QOL showed significant improvement due to supportive therapy with Avemar. Significant improvements were achieved in physical functions (P < .05), emotional functions (P < .001), global state of health (P < .01), fatigue (P <.01), nausea, vomiting (P < .01), insomnia (P < .01),and constipation (P < .01). Effects were manifested after 3 months of treatment and remained stable throughout the entire length of the study.

So pending the results of the trial, we can only conclude that Avemar may improve QOL.
Since its mode of action is likely to be slow it probably will need to be used as an adjunct to a faster acting drug.
One lab study of Avemar in conjunction with vitamin C showed different results depending on the type of cancer & sequence of the supplements. So it is possible that Avemar's action may be affected by food intake.
Overall the impression left I got from the readings is positive but not yet convincing.
Since it has been in use for 8 years in Hungary, there may be interesting anecdotic cases to learn about. But I am not fluent in the Magyar language, Maybe there are Hungarian speaking members of the Forum who can search the web.
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote