View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
Grace

Nausea and Prochlorper

Just in case, I will share my experience on prochlorper.

My oncologist prescribed prochlorper (the least expensive anti-nausea medication) should I experience nausea after first round of taxol and carboplatin: one table (10 mg) every six hours. A friend, a nurse, warned me not to hold off taking my nausea medicine, so I took it exactly every six hours, or a total of 40 mg over a 24 hour period. I experienced no nausea and stopped taking prochlorper after two days. However, during those two days I had a horrible hyper-activity reaction that was unbearable. I visited my dermatologist while on the medication and couldn't sit in any chair for more than a minute (fortunately the visiting room was almost empty as I changed seats at least twenty times in fifteen minutes). At home I also couldn't sit still. I did call my oncologist's office regarding the hyper-activity and was told it was caused by either the benadryl or the steriods given to me before infusion. About a week later I received a call from my oncologist's NP telling me to stop the prochlorper if I were still taking it--I wasn't and the problem had gone away days earlier. I did some research of drug sites and found that 40 mg. of prochlorper could easily cause the hyper reaction.

For my next infusion I was given nothing for nausea or pain. This time around I had nausea and lots of other side effects (including severe pain and constipation) and as a result decided not to continue with chemo--probably a mistake on my part. I should have insisted that I be given a different anti-nausea drug, whatever the cost, and pain medication, but I didn't. Anyway, please be careful if you are given prochlorper for nausea. And if you can, perhaps insist on a different medication. In my research, I determined that my reaction is not that uncommon and I can promise you, it is very unpleasant.

Just a caution!