View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
pattyz

Carol,

I don't blame you for being worried about the wait for treatment, especially since you have symptoms. I 'presume' you are on a schedule of Decadron or similar steroidal medication? That is standard of care when symptomatic brain mets are found, while waiting for what treatment will be done.

It is not a care free drug, this Decadron. Comes with bothersome (hateful) side effects to most people. Yet, it does the job of controlling edema and pressure in brain, so that your brain mets symptoms can be managed for now.

I don't know what Ireland has available in the way of treatment options. Should you find that there is a large operable brain lesion or two, surgery could be one option.

That could be followed by a focalized radiation, like the Gamma Knife - CyberKnife - Linear Accelerator - a course of IMRT. Or, that could be your primary treatment, the focalized. They don't want to do that with more than four nor larger than 3cm tumors. Yet, if you do have more than four, the largest most troublesome could be done first. Then others could be done with a follow-up procedure/s.

You may have Whole Brain Radiation (WBR) pushed at you... I did. Many do. But I resisted, even in the face of a very 'upset' (mean) radiation oncologist. My partner was with me for all my appts. I do strongly feel his support of my wishes went a very long way in helping me attain the treatment I wanted. I maintained a calm attitude. Went with my research as backup to my concerns and treatment preference.

However, I must tell you that I have really been lucky, too. Having my other mets in control/NED, having minimal to no symptoms of brain mets during the first two occurances, being in otherwise good health... like that kind of lucky. As well as responding so well to the treatments I have had.

My Mri report from last week reads: No increase in size, no edema, no new lesions. The largest of current 8 is in my cerrebellum at 1cm. So, for now, my chemo is still working. My onc is really happy! Along with us, ofcourse. This means that we will most likely be taking a holiday for two months this winter, to warmer weather. Will keep up with treatment while away.

I hope this information will be of some assistance to you.

It's wonderful that you will be surrounded by family. Hoping you will have their help in getting 'settled' and while you are undergoing your appts and treatments.

My warmest wishes to you, Carol,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote