View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
RhondaH

Question HELP!!!! Anyone have any experience w/ Social Security and Medicare?

Any advise regarding the attached?

Rhonda

"I just picked-up the mail and in it was a letter from the Social Security Administration. After reviewing all the medical evidence, they agree that I have a permanent disability and qualify for benefits. The first check will not be received until 5/23/07 and medicare benefits are not available until I've been on disability for a full 24 months. That means I have no income until almost June! And I'll have to keep paying for COBRA out of my own pocket in order to keep my insurance. Of course, COBRA is only available for 18 months and medicare isn't available for 24 months. Anyone else see a problem with this? Also, after reading
the brochure they sent, it sounds like if I were to get assistance from any
other agency or organization, the amount will be deducted from my benefit
payment, and I could lose my benefits all together! Perhaps I just don't
understand what they are saying. So, the question is if I have no income until June, and we are already hundreds of dollars behind on our household bills, owe thousands in medical related bills, have child support to pay, plus have to pay $400 a month for COBRA and then co-pays ontop of that, and need nearly $1000 to repair the van (CV joints, brakes, and some belt thingy), how do we stay afloat??? I know what the answer is from the Social Security Administration, because I asked, and their answer is that I should have savings, investments or take-out loans to get by. Of course, over three years of battling cancer has totally drained me financially (and just about everyone else I know) and the SSA does not take that into consideration! If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them, cause I don't think there is anyway we are going to make it until June with me not working. Unfortunately, working is less and less likely everyday as I'm having increasing pain, nerve and muscle damage. Hopefully, the upcoming surgery will help to relieve some of this, but the doctors have already told me that my right arm will never have the same strength or functionality that it once had, and there could be additional unforeseen complications. I guess we will see what the outcome of all of this is. Honestly, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude despite everything. But the news from the SSA isn't making it any easier for any of us!"

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote