View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Becky

I started out on Tamoxifen but knew that long term, it wasn't the best solution for me because I am only 50% ER+ but I am PR negative. I also was starting my adjuvant Herceptin and although I am not metastatic, Herceptin-Arimidex showed fantastic results (alone) in the metastatic setting. So... I stopped tamoxifen and got my ovaries removed. About 3 weeks after that, I started Arimidex (onc wanted me to wait so my hormones settled down). Then, he kept me on Herceptin an extra 4 months (16 months total) so I was on the Herceptin-Arimidex combo one full year.

On Tamoxifen I occassionally got my period (I am 47 now). I felt bloated and had some minor vision problems. Some hot flashes but not too bad (same with Arimidex and not worse but my mom said going through menopause was a breeze for her with practically no hot flashes so I lucked out there).

I am lucky that I did not get any bone or joint pain on Arimidex but I always exercised and walked alot and take tumeric and omega 3s so maybe that helps. Going through abrupt menopause quickly thins the tissues of the vagina and bladder wall (rather than the natural, gradual process). Although I did not experience terrible dryness (therefore my sex life is fine as well as libido), I did begin to experience bladder infections (4 in 11 months). I do know that it is related to sex (never had a bladder infection in my life prior to this so these 4 were the first ones ever). Went to a urologist and now I have to take one Macrobid 100 after sex. Its working. (Told my mom about this and this happened to her when she went through natural menopause so this may have happened to me anyway and is just one of the problems I would have had like my mom. I mention it just because it did happen to me).

I assume the Arimidex is working because my estrogen is low (onc measured it once and will continue to ensure that estrogen is well below 30 every 6 months or so).

Considering my pathology (negative PR and Her2+) indicates strong possibility of Tamoxifen resistance, I would get an oophorectomy again. Besides that, it is well documented that AIs work better. But everyone needs to make their own decision in this regard.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am happy to help.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote