View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
Barbara H.

Hi IVW,
I was diagnosed in 1998. My first recurred in May 2004 with mets to liver, lungs, skin and a 3cm met to the brain. I had brain surgery and Herceptin cleared everything until I developed minimal bone mets last March. Since then I have been on Zometa and Navelbine along with Herceptin and am responding, but I am not completely NED in the bones. I had to have brain surgery again l a year ago and it turned out to be radiation necrosis. The area is still lighting up, but we are just watching it at this point. I am being treated at a major cancer center and everyone there seems positive about my case at this point. Nevertheless, I certainly understand the meaning of stage 4. My oncologist has never been so negative even when I had all those mets. At this point , no one can predict the future and we there will be new drugs in the future. There are many women on this sight who have survived brain mets for many years. I'm sure they will write or you can just research under brain mets. I think it is important for you to find an oncologist who offers you hope.

In addition to my current situation, I am teaching third grade full time and taking courses. It's not easy, but you can have a life and live with breast cancer. Brain mets is an issue with HER2, but you can survive them, and continue to maintain your hope.

Best wishes and good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote