View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
KellyA

Hi Jessica,

I did have immediate reconstruction after masectomy (Bi-lateral) using implants. We didn't know going in if they would be able to get the implants in or have to use expanders. It was a tight fit, but the implants went in (34B). It was painful, not horribly, but it was very tight, a little hard to take a deep breath and I got a bad backache from not being able to stand up straight for a few days- hehe- they pulled the skin up from around my ribs to make the fit. The tightness was dramatically better after 1 week and gone after 1 month. Also, this sounds crazy, but it felt like the implants were up around my chin they were so high. Never thought that I would say this, but I kept asking my doc when they were going to fall! Pretty funny, huh? They've settled in nicely now and its been about 5 months.

I do have to have radiation as sonn as I finish my chemo. I have two rounds left. There is a very high failure rate with implants and radiation. it's about 50% (That's what I have been quoted by my radiation dr. and also by my plastics guy). I didn't really have a choice- I didn't have enough skin for the flap procedure on both sides. My doc said he can fix that side if I have problems with contracture. He said that if I waited until after radiation, he might not be able to stretch the skin enough to get them in. Hopefully I'll be in the 50% that doesn't have a problem. We'll see.........

KellyA
KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote