View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
gin-tx

Smile Stave IV Survivors

Dear Carla,

I was diagnosed Stage IV in June 2006 which I know isn't very long. I had BC 10 yrs ago, had lumpectomy followed by 36 radiation treatments. Then in February of this yr discovered a problem with other breast, my gyn sent me to a breast surgeon. He recommended a biopsy which he did the next week, he thought everything looked okay, told my family he thought everything was fine. I had a nagging feeling something was not right. On Mon he called and told me I had a 'little cancer'. I went thru sentinel node mapping and wider margins removed, first lymph gland was malignant but others were clean as were margins. Proceed to interview oncologists as I knew I would have chemo, was sent for bone scan, something showed up they could not identify. Sent for MRI, it was a tumor on my spine, pressing against lungs, changed everything to Stage IV metastatic cancer. I was devisdated and felt was there any hope for me. I went thru 18 radiation treatments on tumor on spine, am going thru chemo now (herceptin and aridia), am working 6 hrs per day and managing to function. I take one day at a time. You can't plan your whole life in a week, take it one day at a time. I wish you the best and please keep in touch. I had to interview three oncologists before I made a decision and absolutely love the guy I'm using, he is so kind, caring, entire staff is wonderful. I feel I made a good choice. Keep me informed of your progress and how you are doing. I live in a large city so I have lots of choices. I hope you also have a wide selection of people to contact and ask many questions, don't let any of these docs intimidate you, speak up!

ginkott1@aol.com
gin-tx is offline   Reply With Quote