View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #16
Becky

I attended ASCO with our Her2 group this June. There was a paper on the second clinical trial of comparing the outcome of ER+/PR+ breast cancer to Her2+ bc (regardless of hormone status (could be + or -) to triple negative. They compared the clinical outcome of 4 taxol treatments after the 4 AC treatments and if taxol added anything to recurrence rate and survival.

The results were stunning. If you have run of the mill ER+/PR+ only bc, taxol makes absolutely no impact on survivability. There is not one iota of benefit. So much so that in the question and answer period, 2 oncologists jumped up and angrily screamed about why they are subjecting their patients to the added toxicity and side effects of a taxane when there is no benefit (answer - not enough data for ASCO to change the standard of care recommendations for ER+/PR+ bc patients yet).

However for Her2+(and the presenter stated repeatedly that the results for Her2+ women were consistent regardless if these women were also hormone positive) and triple negative women the benefit of adding a taxane was REMARKABLE. There is a huge survival advantage to adding a taxane to the regime. Undeniable.

I do realize that most oncs don't add a taxane for node negative and this is supposedly current standard of care but I would push for the taxane as well. I did not have this problem because I had a micromet to the sentinel node so....I had it all, AC/Taxol/rads/Herceptin.

Just food for thought

Kind regards

Becky

Last edited by Becky; 08-22-2006 at 05:57 AM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote