HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What helps the Taxol Itching?? Drives me nuts!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61911)

eva9310 09-27-2014 04:43 PM

What helps the Taxol Itching?? Drives me nuts!!

I want to claw my skin off my hands and it was feet now it's ankles and hands.

Using cortisone cream, benadryl cream, benadryl tablets nothing.

I hate it!! Makes me want to come out of my skin!!!!

Not sure if I hate the diarrhea or itching more but both seem so simple yet driving me insane!!!

Any suggestions? I will take any and all I can get. I appreciate how helpful you all are! Can't wait to be past chemo and maybe I can offer advice instead of always asking something.

linzer 09-27-2014 05:05 PM

Re: What helps the Taxol Itching?? Drives me nuts!!

I actually just read something an hour ago that suggests that the itching is actually a form of neuropathy. I have one spot on the bottom of my foot near the arch that is itchy. It drives me crazy. I hadn't thought of it as neuropathy as that to me seemed like tingling, numbness, pain etc. So, I think if it is that you won't get relief from creams etc. as much as you will from neuropathy treatments. Check with your oncologist. L-glutamine (I stopeed taking it becuae I thought I didn't have neuropathy), B complex and then maybe one of the prescriptions - gabaplatin or something like that?? Good luck! Google neuropathy itching and see what you come up with.

sarah 09-28-2014 05:40 AM

also topically calamine lotion helps the itching but it is pink!
Linzen's correct, needs to be treated internally as well. maybe drink more water also. good luck, drove me nuts!
sarah

Nurse4u2day 09-28-2014 11:27 AM

Ask about a medication called Atarax... I use to take it for skin itching when I had some odd skin condition that they never figured out but after 2 years went away.
I too have itching on my left foot arch area and occasionally on my left palm/wrist area. I never thought it to be a form of neuropathy . I must say though the Atarax works beautiful. The only draw back is that it does make you sleepy. And FYI if you do get the drug make sure your pharmacy gives you the correct medication! One time mine mixed my order up with a blood pressure med that was close to the same spelling of my generic version of Atarax .

Lisalou 09-29-2014 01:36 PM

I am having terrible itching since finishing chemo. The dermatologist said I have devloped senesitve skin from the chemo. I am currently taking Loratadine 10 mg twice a day(over the counter) and Atarax at bedtime (by prescription). It helps a little. best if you can keep from itching as it stimulates the mast cells and increases the itchiness-very hard to do but helpful if you can.

donocco 09-29-2014 05:40 PM

A topical cream that contains Menthol might help the
itching. I think Gold Bond contains Menthol. The blood pressure drug that was mistakenly given for hydroxyzine was probably Hydralazine.

Paul

Lisalou 09-30-2014 09:10 AM

Aveeno oatmeal baths are soothing as well. Sarna lotion is one that contains menthol, also