HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hi I'm new (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60479)

DizzyDo 03-08-2014 05:46 PM

Hi I'm new

I've been lurking for a bit and this site has been great! So much info and support. I was just diagnosed stage 4 in Jan so still going through the shock phase. I started herceptin, perjeta and taxol in February. Taxol is weekly, others are every 3 weeks. Never been on Chemo before since my original was DCIS and I had a mastectomy. Never thought this would happen!!!! I guess nobody does....

One question - my bp has been slowly increasing on treatment. I was normally 110/60. Now I am 145/80. I'll talk to doc next week and I know this is a herceptin side effect. Has anyone on this combo ever had blood pressure meds to address this? I haven't had bp problems before this. Any advice?

Thanks and look forward to getting to know everyone.

Debbie L. 03-08-2014 07:52 PM

Re: Hi I'm new

Welcome, DD, and thanks for saying hello (unlurking).

Are they sure the B/P changes can be blamed on the Herceptin? What about the steroids (typically, decadron)? Are you taking those before/during treatment? Have you checked your own B/P at home, after you've stopped taking decadron and given it time to clear from your system?

Debbie L.

DizzyDo 03-08-2014 08:51 PM

Thanks Debbie

Yup I do take deca as part of the premeds. I really don't know it's the herceptin, I just assumed. I do have a bp monitor at home so I'll track it this week. I just had an infusion on Friday (just taxol) so I'll follow it. Thanks for the idea.

I was thinking of asking the doc to reduce the deca anyways, I typically can't sleep until about 4 am the day of infusion. What is the downside of reducing it?

Thanks for the help!

Redwolf8812 03-09-2014 06:00 AM

Welcome DizzyDo to the club no one wants to join. I'm happy you found us. I used to have typically low blood pressure like you, but ever since treatments started, my new "norm" is higher. The medical team doesn't worry and I just attribute it to nerves, anxiety, etc. I noticed that it's higher when I first get there, and goes down when they take my vitals before I leave. I wouldn't worry too much if you're otherwise feeling ok.

I'm on perjeta, herceptin, and navelbine. I declined the decadron (I've only had one treatment) but now think I should have it. It keeps away side effects like nausea and allergic reactions. Since I didn't have the decadron, my stomach has been pretty screwed up, plus I had severe jaw and face pain that is associated with navelbine. I'm beginning to think the one or two sleepless nights may be worth it, if I can avoid all that discomfort by taking the decadron.

LeahM 03-09-2014 07:56 AM

I had my Decadron decreased by half. After the very first time I took it. I also had the "day of" dose infused all at once before the chemo was infused. Welcome and I hope you visit often.
Leah

DizzyDo 03-09-2014 10:54 AM

Thanks ladies for the info - it's great to learn from you. I'll discuss with mo next week.

Jackie07 03-09-2014 02:12 PM

Hi,

Here's a recent thread about blood pressure elevation:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...sure+elevation

There's also a 'Calling all stage IV Sisters' thread you can locate by using the 'Search' button on the top right hand corner. Several long-time Stage-IV survivors have posted recently and you can also scroll down to find a list of Stage IV sisters on this Board. You can click on the highlighted name of the person who have posted to find more info. You can also go to Members List on the top bar to locate anyone and their previous postings.

Her2 breast cancer is very aggressive (fast growing and resistant to chemo) and new blood vessels can grow by way of angiogenesis to mend the 'broken' tissues yet at the same time allow hidden cancer cells to travel and metastasize. A lot of patients now do the neoajuvant therapy (chemo/Herceptin before surgery) to minimize the risk.

Sending you good vibes.

conomyself 03-09-2014 07:03 PM

I would check it at home, and then if I thought it was high make an appointment with my primary care doc because the nurse takes blood pressure manually. That's the only way that I really trust.

At the cancer center one time I had a really high reading on the machine, like 150/something and I had to request she take it again, and it was like 30 points lower. She was about to log it!

I also find when they take it through my shirt with the machine it's around 130/90, but on my bare arm it's more like 110/70, but that could also be a coincidence.

Rachael

tricia keegan 03-10-2014 06:01 PM

Just wanted to say welcome Dizzydoo!

Pray 03-12-2014 05:27 AM

Another welcome here for you DD! You and your family are in my prayers.

DizzyDo 03-13-2014 02:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to know I'm not the only one facing this. I have been monitoring my bp all week and it definitely drops about 48 hour post infusion (from 155/88 to 131/75). I talked to my infusion nurse and she is going to work on a deca reduction for the next infusion. So we will see! Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Deltadiva 03-13-2014 11:06 PM

Hi dizzydo, my BP has been slowly but steadily climbing, and got got up to 170's, 180's after round 3. My pre-chemo levels were 120's so I was really shocked! I was really upset, thinking we'd have to stop. Bit my onc said, "it's the chemo, and it will go away after I finish my 6 rounds. So I'm on a beta blocker, and i feel a lot better. I guess we just treat the symptoms and power on if we can, and I'm sure glad.

DizzyDo 03-15-2014 10:53 AM

Thank Delta - that is good to know it they will treat high blood pressure during chemo. I had an infusion yesterday and the steroid was reduced by half. I actually slept last night! So far so good!