HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cream Help (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60027)

ClarkA 01-14-2014 06:32 AM

Cream Help

Hi All,

I have another questions from my wife. She is starting radiation and contemplating the effectiveness of the skin cream that the nurse recommended (EvoSkin). She wants to know if it is really necessary, how well it works, and I guess what does it does/how does it help? Its very expensive ($56/4oz). She tried searching websites here in Taiwan and not many woman have talked about using this or other creams, and or the effectiveness of doing so. I say forget the money, get it and use it, but I digress, we are different.

Any advice, help, hints?? Alternative creams?

Thanks.

Brett

Cat 01-14-2014 07:57 AM

Re: Cream Help

I've never heard of evoskin but I've heard of people paying a lot for creams in radiation. My Dr. gave me "special care cream" and later gave me aquaphor as we got further into treatment I was told to use no other lotion, shower and nothing on skin before treatment but bring cream with for immediately after treatment. I drank lots of water an stayed very hydrated and I'm fair skinned and had minor pink to my skin that went away quickly. I would not go against your Dr. But may ask if there is something cheaper. Maybe since my treatment the evoskin is an excellent cream that works great and may be worth it.

Becky 01-14-2014 09:05 AM

I used Aquaphor as well but also used Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel. I was told to use unscented Dove bar soap when washing the area. Both topicals worked well. I used the soap and don't know if that helped or not.

MaineRottweilers 01-14-2014 03:09 PM

I was instructed to use nothing but Eucerin and Aloe Vera gel mixed 1:1. I was told to use it liberally several times daily but not within 2 hours of going for radiation. Once I started to get really red, my RO had be use good, old fashioned Barbasol shaving cream as a prep 10 minutes on skin before using the Eucerin and Aloe mixture. I completed radiation the day before Thanksgiving and you would never know I had radiation at all to see me today.

Lien 01-14-2014 04:08 PM

I would check with the doc, but I think pure aloe vera would be a good idea. Get the plants and cut the leaves to get the gel out.

Jacqueline

Lien 01-14-2014 04:11 PM

I found a video about it on youtube, showing how to get the gel out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIbe3QhJACo

Jacqueline

ClarkA 01-14-2014 06:32 PM

Does anyone know what the cream does for the skin? Does it protect it or "revitalize" the skin? I imagine its good to prevent damage to the skin. But she is right, in that no one has answered directly about what it does or how it helps- they just say use it. We will ask the doctor. My girl likes her detailed questions to be answered before she does anything.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Brett

Aussie Girl 01-14-2014 11:17 PM

Hi,

A link to sensible guidelines.
http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/pat...iation-therapy

You don't have to use only "evoskin" if it is that expensive. The cream doesn't stop the damage as such, but it reduces the redness, dryness and itching etc and helps the skin repair.

If significant burn occur, consider the old standard "SSD Cream" (Silver Sulfadiazine Cream) which has been used for burns for years. Don't use this if allergic to Sulfa drugs.

Best wishes

Aussie Girl

sarah 01-15-2014 12:19 PM

Hello,
Some good suggestions here. I don't know Evo cream and it does seem very expensive but I can say that Evonail for nails during chemo and after helped my nails tremedously and would definitely recommend it for nails. Aloe is very soothing and I would suggest putting a cream on after radiation (never before).
good luck
sarah

Deb33 01-17-2014 04:43 PM

I was blessed with a family friend who is an Acupuncturist specializing in cancer treatment. She researched and found the cream I used. I am very fair skinned and burn easily and had just completed alot of different chemo's. It saved my skin. My docs were amazed at how well I did. I would use it every night at bedtime and a few times over the weekends and be good to go in the morning. You can buy it online - www.springwind.com. It is their burn cream and is pretty cheap. Only down side is it is natural and smells like dead leaves or dirt BUT was so worth it. Have your Doc approve it but they won't find anything in it that they don't like. Good Luck.

tricia keegan 01-17-2014 06:48 PM

I used natural aloe vera gel which worked for me and I only became pink and itchy rather than red and sore!

Adriana Mangus 01-18-2014 12:08 AM

I only used aquaphor as a precaution but didn't get too red or itchy. The cream is used to avoid scratchy skin and peeling, some women use it for skin redness and infections.

Someone mention Dove, you might want to look into that as well.

Adriana