HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Is it just me or is it the WIG (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59512)

linn65 02-05-2013 12:57 PM

Is it just me or is it the WIG

I now have hotflashes that began with chemo, and I suppose now the Tamoxifan. Anyway, I can have a hot flash with my wig on and my head just sweats underneath. I can deal with taking my wig off and wiping the sweat off. However, what is driving me crazy now is I am just starting to get some new hair growth and my head is itching like crazy!!! But I can take the wig off and give my head a good scratch and all is well. Then, I put my wig back on and all I can think about is my head is itching like crazy. The itching is not from the new hair growth so WHAT do wigs just automatically make your head ITCH when you put them on????

Between the hot flashes one minute then cold with goose bumps the next.....And the itchy head!!! Errrrr does this happen with everyone??

jaykay 02-05-2013 01:31 PM

Re: Is it just me or is it the WIG

I'm sorry! But I haven't had a hot flash in years and my wig doesn't make me itch. Although I do some scratching when I take it off :-). Based on my past experiences with Tamoxifen - I would bet that's the culprit.

I can't wait for new hair growth!!

Best
Janis

europa 02-05-2013 02:32 PM

My head was very itchy when my hair started to come back in. My doctor told me that was pretty common as the hair follicles were coming through the skin. I used Jojoba oil every night and it helped with the dryness that the winter air caused. I never wore my wig because it was too darn itchy and I would sweat like crazy. I'm currently on Tamoxifen and I spend my nights covering and uncovering myself. I now do it without waking up. It's part of the Tamoxifen 5 year sentence. Yippee for us.

KsGal 02-05-2013 06:19 PM

I had hot flashes as well. At work it would just about make me walk out..miserable. Wake up in the middle of the night throwing the covers off, freezing the next minute. My head, also, was really itchy when the hair started growing back in, and the wig irritated it, plus I was working in a job where I supervised a kitchen, which just made the sweating under the wig worse! This is the second time I have lost my hair, and Im avoiding wearing a wig like the plague. The soft little skull caps feel so much better. The dry skin on my scalp is itchy, so I try to keep is moisturized. I don't know if everyone has these symptoms, but you aren't alone. Hope it gets better soon.

starwishn2 02-05-2013 08:15 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now!! I actually think it's the hair growth as my head REALLY itches - even more - as soon as I lay down at night. And, not to whine, but I'm on Arimidex and am starting my second trip through HOT flash land. I've already done this once (early onset of menopause) ...must I go through it again?! Ahhh the joy!!

Jackie07 02-05-2013 10:21 PM

I used to have very oily skins and the dermatologist had precribed me Nizoral to alternate with DHS 2% Zinc (Head & Shoulder has only 1% Zinc) shampoo. That was 22 years ago and it's been working very well. My current oncologist (dermatologist?) told me to use the Nizoral very infrequently...

You might want to see a dermatologist to take care of your scalp.

One thing I did when I was wearing a wig during chemo was to put a small, thin silk handkerchief inside. Silk is soft and keeps the head warm when it's cold outside while feels cool when it's hot inside...

Whenever I was not at work, I would just wear a cap (in the public) or not wear anything at all (when at home) on my head.

linn65 02-06-2013 06:42 AM

Europa too funny take the covers on and off without waking up that is hysterical!! At home one minute I am turning the heat up and the next I think OMG it is freaking hot in her so the heat goes down! It does suck when you are trying to work and in the back of your mind all you can think is MY HEAD ITCHES! I did notice the barely shadow of hair I have now is very soft so the texture has changed. I am waiting for it to have a growing spurt!! LOL, does that happen??? I have looked at my head and it doesn't look dry on top, and I think if I put something on it will it somehow stunt the growth of hair?? When I go home the first thing I do is take off my wig and scratch it for a bit and it stops itching. I rub it now out of habit just feeling my head, and I think I know every little new hair growing just from that.

Starwish2 I really do not know the difference between Armidex and Tamox but I am right there with you WHINING because no one else really wants to hear it because they don't get it. So I am whining on here it is like group therapy for me!! We all get these little or kind of big aggravations we must go thru for the "Cure"!

What does everyone else put on their head for itching?? Lord, knows I am going thru radiation now daily, so I don't even want to make a doctors appt with a dermatologist, but I know my rad doctor would give me something for my head. I am a frequent visitor at the Pharmacy, and my pharmacist knows me by name I keep her in business! hahaha.

4angel 02-10-2013 08:04 AM

My hair is just starting to grow in too. I have mild hot flashes and some itching. I believe the itching is from the hair growing in. I have put Aloe on my head and it seems to help. I don't think most moisturizers will harm your head or slow the hair growth, i used them all the time as I had pretty long hair before BC. and it never hurt the growing. Good luck. I'm just starting hormone treatment with zoledex( shots) until I have the ovaries removed and then will start something new. Hope it will be low on the side effects, but time will tell.

Becky 02-10-2013 03:15 PM

Gold Bond mediated lotion helps alot. It is the hair growing in. Medicated lotions have that cooling effect that really helps.

linn65 02-10-2013 04:12 PM

If you get your ovaries removed you do not need to take tomax?

Becky 02-10-2013 04:52 PM

I got my ovaries removed so I could get off Tamoxifen and go onto Arimidex (an AI). AIs can only be used in postmenopausal women and are proven to perform better. If your cancer is hormone positive, you need to go on something.

linn65 02-11-2013 05:56 AM

I am ER+ 30%, so I am on Tamoxifen for that....But if getting my ovaries removies I could be off of it that would be really nice. I started taking the Tamoxifen a little over a week ago and the hot flashes have came back like they never left like when I was doing TCH. However, I am hoping the Effexor will take care of those. Anymore, it is always like there is something not quite right...Do you ever feel like can't you just have a day with no complaints!! LOL

linn65 02-11-2013 06:00 AM

And Becky I have osteopenia too but that was before the cancer! I haven't even told any cancer doctors about that, but I think in the beginning I surely wrote on all the papers with questions I did I can not even remember. Anymore, I feel like if I can make it to work, now to the rads, and OMG the dreaded herceptin on Wednesday which NOW I hate the idea of even going and getting that done. I walk in that chemo room to get that and it is just flat out depressing to me.