HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Does anyone know much about reading blood results? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59456)

europa 11-05-2013 06:00 AM

Does anyone know much about reading blood results?

So I am completely freaking out right now. I went in yesterday for my three month blood draw and asked if I could get a copy of my last blood draw results. I like to keep a file and have collected results for about a year now. I won't know what the results from yesterday's draw are until tomorrow when I see my oncologist.
But I was alarmed at my results from September. My AST, ALT, Alkaline Phosophate and Bilirubin levels have been pretty constant for the most part. They fluctuate a tiny bit my Alt did drop from 27 to 18. But in September my ALT changed from 18 to 27, my AST dropped from 23 to 21, my Bilirubin went from 0.3 to 0.7 and my Alkaline Phosphate went from 39 to 58!!!

Does this mean liver mets? I went through a ridiculous amount of scans and they all showed nothing in my liver. But blood is pretty indicative of something going on. Now I have been dealing with major constipation issues since September. So my other question is, can something else cause these things to fluctuate?

rhondalea 11-05-2013 09:18 AM

Re: Does anyone know much about reading blood results?

I think those are pretty normal numbers.

I've had similar fluctuations over the years, and I expect they're dependent on what I'm eating, as well as the supplements I'm taking at the time.

The range for alkaline phosphatase on my lab reports is 25-150. My own result has been as high as 69 and as low as 53. Pretty much the same for the others--fluctuations, yes, but still in the middle part of the range, just as all yours are. You can read more about alkaline phosphatase here:

http://labtestsonline.org/understand...s/alp/tab/test

It's likely that your result has increased because you've recovered from chemo (see the reasons for lower levels of ALP). You can also look up your other labs at this site.

tricia keegan 11-05-2013 05:04 PM

Tumour markers are not conclusive for everyone and even an infection or cold can cause them to rise, many Onc's don't do them for this reason as they can be unreliable so I wouldn't put all my trust in keeping these results. If your scans were clear and you have no symptoms I'd be feeling good about that so try not to worry!

Aussie Girl 11-05-2013 06:44 PM

Dear Europa,

As a pathologist, I'm not worried at all about those numbers, but each lab has different normal ranges and so you'll have to discuss them with your oncologist or family physician.

Lots of things could have caused those minor changes including minor illness, medication, alcohol, your particular genetics, normal daily variation.

I'm pretty sure you'll be reassured once you talk to your oncologist. I'm in the middle of TCH therapy and most of my tests are totally OFF! I try not to think about it too much for now. I learnt for sure today I have hit menopause - @$#&%.

Good luck

Aussie Girl

'lizbeth 11-05-2013 07:41 PM

Europa,

These blood tests fluctuate. Didn't your report have the normal range next to the results? I love it when labs do that because it makes the results more understandable. My hospital puts an H by the high results and a L by the low ones that are outside the range.

I used to stress over my hubby's blood tests. Many of the counts are outside of the normal range. Over time the tests will show what is normal for you, not just the average population.

When our oncologist has an intern he will spring my hubby on him. The poor intern is expecting someone in really bad shape, then he meets the patient and his good health doesn't match the blood test results.

Hopefully for you this will be a false alarm and all is well and healthy.

Becky 11-06-2013 06:57 AM

If they are in the normal range, they are in the normal range. Mine flip all over the place. Everytime I get blood work, I put it in a graph and then the paperwork goes into a folder. Once, I did a graph of the pertinent cancer things only when I had a normal onc appointment and he said lots of stuff affects the readings. For example, he told me that caffeine affects the CA 27/29 (makes it go up) and mine whip around the normal range all over the place (up and down - 11, 18, 14, 28, 21 etc). He said normal is normal and there is only so much one can control prior to taking blood.

For example, you could always fast and do nothing prior to blood work even if your blood work does not require fasting but then he said, what did you eat and do before that? Do you always eat the same things in the days before fasting - no, of course. Did you exercise the day before? Easy or hard. Who knows so just go with normal. Normal is normal even though we cancer folks do look at things differently.

europa 11-07-2013 12:55 PM

Well, I got the ay okay from my onc yesterday. The pain on my right side is still a mystery so she has ordered a colonoscopy. Yey for me.
I also found an awesome remedy for constipation which is what I believe is causing my pain, apple cider. One teaspoon of that.....whoa! I run to the bathroom. :)