HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ablation of Liver Met (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58384)

KDR 06-17-2013 09:52 AM

Ablation of Liver Met

OK, plans are being made.
My oncologist is putting ablation on the table for this small met. If you had it, do they cut you is this done by some invisible ray. The only place the HER2 keeps coming back is the liver and she'd like this spot gone. That would enable me, if I choose to stay on Kadcyla/Perjeta, with the risk that it could happen again...if the met was not alone going through the escape window.

We are doing the biopsy to see what we are dealing with.

I never had breast surgery. Am I the only one? Has everyone had some type of lumpectomy or mastectomy?

Thanks for your input. A learning curve for us all.

Karen

StephN 06-17-2013 11:53 AM

Re: Ablation of Liver Met

Glad there is a local treatment option going on the table!

I had a lumpectomy with lower axilla resection. I think only a tiny number here may have gotten away with neoadjuvent therapy making the tumor completely disappear and then having radiation.

Jessica had ablation as well as a couple other members - Esther I think. Have you done a search here for liver met ablation?

KDR 06-17-2013 12:09 PM

Steph
I remember Jess JML talking about that and it stayed away for good. That's who you were referring to?
No search yet, but will.
Tx
Karen

michka 06-17-2013 12:37 PM

Karen it may be a very good option for you. I had Rfa at the same time as my resection but there is also cryoablation or Cyberknife. It also depends on the size of the tumor. How big is it?
I remember thinking that maybe a local approach would not work long but at least I would be sure that those tumors I was going to blast would not to be able to kill me.... I loved that idea.
Love Michka

KDR 06-17-2013 12:52 PM

Michele
2.6 cm x 2.4 cm. I just found out I am not off the trial juuuuust yet.
Let me know how things are going. I have been sending you the best wishes there are.
Karen

Lauriesh 06-17-2013 03:25 PM

I had ablation done on my liver almost 2 1/ 2 years ago and have been Ned since then.

There is no cutting. A large needle is inserted and it burns off the tumor. It was an outpatient procedure and very little recovery. I was put under for it because mine was considered a " tricky case" because they had to go in through my ribs.

Laurie

cheery 06-17-2013 09:05 PM

Karen

Any reason your onco suggested RFA? Coolbreeze and I are going for SBRT, which my radiation onco has recommended and is non-invasive. I'm told RFA is considered invasive.

Please keep us posted,

Cat

KDR 06-18-2013 03:19 AM

Hey Cheery Cat,
How are you feeling? What is the difference between the two? When I meet with her, I can pose that question.
Thanks for the input.
Karen

cheery 06-18-2013 06:58 AM

I'm not sure either, lol..my radiation onco simply recommended SBRT to me as it's not invasive, unlike RFA. I'll ask him next visit.

Andrea Barnett Budin 06-19-2013 06:20 PM

My only input re this is I LOVE YOU, KAREN and you doc is pretty amazing too.

I'd considered ablation in '98 (more than a decade ago, only done experimentally in Calif -- Paul prepared all my paperwork and talked and talked to pp there, I was a candidate. at the time they said it was like microwaving away the tumors). But that was then and we are in the 21st century last time I checked.

Please keep us posted. Biopsy Monday, right? Then, you can talk w/wider understanding...

XO, ANDI

KDR 06-19-2013 07:03 PM

Yes, Andi, still in hunting and gathering mode. Just got a chance to sit down and am reading cursory fashion the board. I may make so unexpected changes to the plans, but yes, pre-surg testing tomorrow (Thursday) and Monday is biopsy.
Love you back
Thanks all,
Will reply soon,
Karen

jkdowl 06-27-2013 09:36 PM

Hi Karen,
Never had surgery either. I had two tumors of left breast and multiple positive lymph nodes. Mets to spine. After Taxol, herceptin and zometa for 9 months, Mammograms show some calcifications at prior tumor sites and lymph nodes not detectable.
No plan for mastectomy unless growth of tumors felt by exam.
Your not the only one who hasn't had mastectomy or lumpectomy.
Kim

KDR 06-28-2013 12:20 PM

Kim,
That is good to know. I've often wondered if that might have been an initial mistake. Apparently not!
Your signature is very encouraging. Are you in NY?
Karen
PS You must be very busy with three children, I have one girl, almost 10