HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Herceptin and trials (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57537)

linn65 03-10-2013 10:15 AM

Herceptin and trials

I am going into my 8 month now of treatment. I took last week off of Herceptin because being tired and feeling depressed. When I read about people 5 years on herceptin and going on trials. I think, "wow" how to people find such strength to continue going. I hate this cancer life and I push myself to do the bare necessities.

I had down days before but nothing like this. Somedays I just want to sit and cry for days and not leave house. Ugh this all sucks!

tricia keegan 03-10-2013 02:51 PM

Re: Herceptin and trials

Hi Linn,

I found Taxol to be a very depressive drug and towards the end of it I really felt like giving up too, thankfully I'm happy to say I did feel so much better once I was off all drugs and it was like a fog had lifted, it does get better so hang in there.

linn65 03-10-2013 06:53 PM

Is taxol herceptin. Sometimes I feel like I am losing my mind or will to keep fighting this. I have been really depressed, stressed. It is a snowball that keeps getting bigger and right now I hate my life that I am fighting for . No energy, I don't feel eating,and I just feel in a lonely time that's no others around me understand. When does it get better?. I feel. Like a burden, an inconvenience and my mind doesn't shut off,. I am tried of crying.

Jackie07 03-11-2013 12:15 AM

Herceptin is Trastuzumab which is made with something taken out of the ovaries of the Golden Hamster. Taxol is a taxane extracted from a Pacific Yew tree (if I remember correctly.)

Most Her2 patients have TCH (Taxatere + Carboplatin + Herceptin) first (or a newer schedule) and then continue just H (Herceptin) for the rest of the year.

Be sure to walk 30 minutes a day and eat well. Sending you good vibes. (Cry as much as you feel like it. It's better not to suppress our emotions. But if it's bothering/affecting your daily activities, you might want to talk to your doctor about it.)

jaykay 03-11-2013 06:40 AM

Linn,

Definitely talk to your doctor about your feelings - doesn't matter which doc; whoever you feel comfortable with. It's been a long journey for you and it's natural to feel worn out and depressed.

You may need an anti-depressant for a while until everything sorts itself out. Not ativan or valium, but something like an SSRI (if you google SSRI, it will provide a far better explanation than I could!).

You might also look into a support group as well. It really helps to talk about what you are going through with people who are experiencing similar feelings.

Cancer does suck but we are bigger than it is.

Virtual hug!

Janis

linn65 03-11-2013 07:05 AM

Jackie, wow you know your stuff!! I did finish the TCH 11/27 and now on herceptin for the year. I keep wondering sometimes why is a, "Year" the magic number?? Have they figured out that most people have NED on Herceptin it takes a year to be fully effective??

Jaykay, I am taking Effexor which is an anti-depressent and it is supposed to work for hot flashes. I live in a small town so there are not any support groups that I am aware of. I know there is one that I have not been too about 40 minutes away that meet once a month, but I have not checked into it. I live on the Illinois/Indiana state line. They are an hour behind us and the meeting was at 8 p.m. my time, and I have not went.

This board seems to be my support group, and I am happy I found it!!

My goal; It's Monday so I picked myself up did some self talk and said it is a new week.....Count my blessings, think positive thoughts, and keep going!!!

nsebesta 03-11-2013 03:52 PM

The steroids alone will take you on the ride you're on with the depression. Just keep in mind - this too shall pass. One day you'll look back and it will all be a blur!
Do talk to your doctor - you are not unusual to feel this way. They will know what to do to help you.

Linda100 03-11-2013 08:50 PM

Hi Linn65 .... yes do hang in there. I don't get on here much, but just read your post and felt compelled to respond. You have a lot on your plate ... so please don't be down on yourself about that ... it is very difficult when you feel like others don't understand and when you feel alone. I just finished my year of Herceptin, after having been in a trial and having the drug I was on pulled out of it after I had been finished for a couple of years (so I thought). But, it was highly recommended that I take Herceptin... it has a good track record. I had read about a study done last year of whether or not it should be given for only 6 months, or increased to 2 years. Apparently the standard 1 year came out the winner! A year really seems like a long time.

I just saw that you are in Attica, Indiana ... northwest of Indy, right. I'm southeast of Indianapolis in Shelbyville. I used to drive to the north side of Indy to get together with a group. Some of them were connected with the Young Survival Coalition. Have you heard of that? There's an office in Indianapolis... I'm not totally sure about the phone number, but here's what I found when I looked up the YSC on the internet for the midwest region:

For more information about YSC or to find resources in your area, contact the Midwest Regional Field Manager at midwestregion@youngsurvival.org or call 866.541.1972. For more information about YSC or to find resources in your area...

You might connect with them and see if they know anyone out your way ... people came from all sorts of directions to get to some of the gatherings I was in (a gathering one Monday evening at Logans on 86th street for dinner and fellowship, but sometimes a program ... and lots of sharing and information exchanging) the YSC office was also up in the northern part of Indianapolis ... I haven't been for a while, partially because of schedule and distance but it was good to connect with people. Where are you taking your treatments? Maybe there's a group closer in Illinois.

May blessings, love and peace embrace you during this time and hold you close. Linda

Linda100 03-11-2013 08:54 PM

PS .. the gatherings at Logans were usually 1 Monday a month, each month. I know it's a long way to drive and you may have other responsibilities, but when it stays light later maybe something would work for you and you could either attend the Logan's gathering some time or something at the YSC office if there's nothing that works better for you.

Diana 03-12-2013 09:45 AM

I am on Herceptin. I have 4 more month's left. I went thru 4 month's of a planned six month's of chemo but it was stopped due to bad reaction. I was wondering if anyone has dry and cracking skin. I also ave developed a persistent non productive cough. I have seen my primary for this and mentioned it to my oncologist. I own depression as well or it owns me! I am on anti depression medicine and utilizing the counseling service that is available.