HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Is Sugar Toxic? (NYT article) (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49654)

bejuce 04-19-2011 10:05 AM

Is Sugar Toxic? (NYT article)

An excellent article on sugar and its harms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...gar-t.html?hpw

I have a big sweet tooth, but after reading this article I'm convinced I need to reduce my sugar intake to a minimum.

My father just hard surgery for bladder cancer that was likely caused by a combination of his metabolic syndrome and his smoking days many years ago. As the article points out, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and diabetes are major risk factors for cancer. When I was pregnant with my 2nd, my sugar levels were higher than with my first, and my OB was at one point concerned I'd develop gestational diabetes. Not sure if my cancer is related to that, but it sure sounds likely to me.

I'd love to hear your comments on the subject.

Barbara2 04-19-2011 11:03 AM

Re: Is Sugar Toxic? (NYT article)

Sugar: As bad as tobacco?

Video clip from the CBS early show:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...inColumnArea.0

Dr. Jennifer Ashton:
"There is now new research that suggests that insulin really works as a growth factor to trigger and stimulate and feed and nurish tumor calls and therefore implicated in cancer."

Ellie F 04-19-2011 12:34 PM

I also have a sweet tooth and for YEARS before diagnosis I loved chocolate and ate it everyday! I guess as I wasn't overweight I didn't feel the need to stop.

Ellie

Cal-Gal 04-26-2011 05:43 PM

there is a lot of info out there on sugar feeding cancer cells--

I decided to reduce my sugar intake when I was going through treatment and learned this fact.

I look at the sugar label on EVERYTHING I EAT.

Also I drink lots of greens--to help with my PH.

pibikay 04-27-2011 01:27 AM

I have read and we have been adviced that sugar feeds cancer

Jackie07 08-10-2011 10:14 PM

Thanks. I was so 'uneasy' reading the harmful effect of sugar that I 'unconciously' ate three pieces of Hershey's Nuggets - Special Dark mildly sweet Chocolate with Almonds while reading the long article ... :)

pibikay 08-11-2011 01:27 AM

Dark Choclate is supposed to have +ve reactions in
Her 2 treatment

fullofbeans 08-18-2011 10:28 AM

the peak of insulin is therefore sugar is so is fructose maybe worse..

Fructose: The Sugar of Choice for Cancer Cells:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/08/03/fr...-cancer-cells/

Laurel 08-19-2011 07:53 PM

Well, since I hail from Hershey, I guess I am doomed. I love chocolate and even our air smells of it. Ah well, what a way to go....

StephN 08-19-2011 09:57 PM

I cut way back on the moderate amount of sugar I was eating over 10 years ago. I feel good this way, and know that I can have a glass of juice when I need a pick up instead of caffeine.

The chocolate I eat is 90% organic, fair trade, shade grown in Ecuador. I mail order it. It has a lot of flavor so does not need to be sweet.

I just figure whether or not sugar is toxic, someone with my kind of cancer can do without. The little I do use is organic.

ElaineM 08-20-2011 11:33 AM

That chocolate sounds fabulous Steph. I can almost taste it. Smile.
Pet scan injections are radioactive "glucose" based solutions. The theory is that where there is an uptake of the injected solution there is cancer. So I guess that means cancer likes glucose (sugar etc) as much as we do. I can picture nasty little cancer cells sucking up the glucose from the scan injection during the scan.
I am very careful about keeping my glucose down. I try to learn the nutritional information about almost everything I eat or drink. I only eat dark chocolate once in awhile. I go for the 72% dark chocolate or higher. I love the 85-88% dark chocolate. Actually I am getting to prefer the taste of dark chocolate more than the sweeter milk chocolate. I don't eat much cake, pie, cookies or other sweet things. I do eat fruit, but that does not have refined sugar. It has natural sugar which is healthier.
My doctor's office does not require us to fast for blood tests. I usually have my blood test in the early afternoon about 1-2 hours after lunch. My blood glucose is always under 100.

Pray 10-05-2011 04:45 AM

Hi StephN,

Could you give us the brand name of organic dark chocolate you buy and or a web site address. I have been eating dark choc. over 72% cocoa since diag. Always looking for new ones to try! They all taste so different to me. I do enjoy it!

Your Friend,

Nancy

NEDenise 10-05-2011 06:56 AM

Great article!
Thanks for posting this!
Definitely food for thought...sugar-free, low-fat food, of course!
Denise

CoolBreeze 10-23-2011 06:58 PM

They don't know what causes cancer.

I had zero sweet tooth. None. Didn't eat cake on my birthday, didn't understand why people wanted to eat that stuff. If you put a pickle or a piece of Godiva chocolate in front of me, I'd pick the pickle every time. It has been at least ten years, maybe more, since I've had a soda.

I got cancer.

These personal stories are not very compelling because for every person who lives on soda and candy who gets cancer, you'll find a Lance Armstrong, or if not that, a person like me.

The author of that article admits to bias, and the entire thing is based on one man's opinion, and not any kind of research. In fact, buried deep into the article, they say, "Despite the steady accumulation of research, the evidence can still be criticized as falling far short of conclusive."

I think it's obvious that people should do everything in moderation. Eat a piece of candy now and then if you want one - don't eat a pound a day. Have a glass of wine on a Friday - don't drink daily. Eat healthfully and exercise moderately.

And, some people who do all those things will still get cancer. They do not know yet why some of us have cells that mutate. And, cancer is nothing new - it's been going on since the days of Cleopatra.

LoisLane 11-04-2011 07:24 PM

I agree Coolbreeze. Everything in moderation. I get a little crazy reading all of these articles on alcohol, sugar, etc. etc. I was so scared at the beginning of my diagnosis really worried about what I was consuming. Now I try to eat healthy but I will have my treats and live my life. I really need to do that, I cant be afraid every time I have a drink of wine or a piece of cake I am going to cause a recurrence.

JeanBeanie 11-05-2011 06:08 AM

I was always told everything in moderation. That is sweets too. But I have notice recently when I do eat any type of sweets - I get a pain in my liver area. Not sure why and told my doctor about it and she could not explain it.
It is almost the holidays -if any one has great recipes for desserts - that are less in sugar please pass them on..