HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hoarssness of voice and right supraclavicular node enlarged: help!! (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45115)

fullofbeans 05-11-2010 06:53 PM

Hoarssness of voice and right supraclavicular node enlarged: help!!

Hi troups,

And again I find myself in the little hours of the night searching on the net for answers.. and wishing wishing wishing..

Basically I had a sore throat a few weeks ago and felt a bit run down. This is now getting better but I still have a hoarsseness in my voice and my right supraclavicular node enlarged about 1cm, it is quite movable and i can feel the node (which is how I discovered it).

I saw my onco and he said that he will see me again in 3/4 weeks and see if it is still there or getting worse but that I could contact them if it is getting worse B4.

Basically I was not too worried until tonight (because of teh bad throat I had in the week b4 node enlarged) when I notice that my voice was getting worse (more broken ) and that the enlarged node 'may' be getting bigger (but not sure) at least it is not getting better that is for sure. It has been a week since I was seen and 2 weeks since I noticed the lump..

Any word of wisdom..?? has any of you had this kind of issues??

fullofbeans 05-11-2010 07:25 PM

Re: Hoarssness of voice and right supraclavicular node enlarged: help!!

Right I am properly freaked out now as apparently infection drain into the left not the right node so that was not a possiblity ever..

Apparently there is an almost 100% of malignacy if the right suprac is enlrged from what I read
I am so scared..

Catherine 05-11-2010 08:17 PM

Full of beans,

I have no idea what this means. Just sending you a note to help support you in the middle of the night. It is 8pm here on the West Coast of the US. I am guessing you are in bed...and hopefully sleeping. All the best in getting some answers. Keep the faith.

Hugs,
Catherine

Jean 05-11-2010 09:05 PM

Dear Fullofbeans,
In the dark and quite of the night everything seems worse. It is midnight here on the East coast and early morning by you...I am hoping that the Sun is shining
on you today.

I would call my dr. and ask him if you could go in sooner and what tests to run so you can get answers. The unknown is the worst of it.

Sending Best Wishes,
Jean

StephN 05-11-2010 09:09 PM

Dear Beans -
Sorry to hear this development.
Can you ask for an ultrasound or needle biopsy.

Seems they could do something like that unless you want to wait for a PET scan.

I know you are a first class researcher, so I think you are most likely right in your findings.

Try to be calm and use your scientific "self" to get through this.

(((Hugs)))

Ellie F 05-12-2010 01:13 AM

Hi full of beans
Britain seems to be in the grip of throat infections at present! I have one to and so have most of my friends.
Are your neck nodes also enlarged as these also drain from ear and throat?
I understand your fear but just wanted to add that lymph nodes do sometimes take a long time to resolve post infection. The problem is following bc it is always the first thing we think it is.
Keeping fingers crossed it is b9 and just a response to your recent infection
Ellie

fullofbeans 05-12-2010 02:51 AM

Thanks,

I talked to the registrar this morning and asked her what else could it be telling her that from what I read only the left supraclavicular node can be infected by virus/bacteria but that the right supracla. is reported to be bet 90 to 100% of the time cancer and not infection.

She said that it can also be infected which goes against what I read so I am confused now and not sure what is right or wrong anymore.. I think I will book for next wednesday (when they hold the clinic) and give her a call back tomorrow..

Has anyone else had a right supra enlarged that was nothing or somthing..

fullofbeans 05-12-2010 05:42 AM

I have just read the letter from my past visit from the oncologist to the dr (you can opted to get copy of communication)

it says "that the node is too small at present and I have been reassuring to her but I would like to see her again when she comes for her Herceptin.."

That definitely does not sound good please send me good vibes I am so scared. The scarry moments I have had in teh past have never been so strong and I was always the one acting to get scan other something, this is the first time that the oncology team seem concerned..and really the alternative (infection is very small).

whatz 05-12-2010 06:51 AM

Hej FullOfBeans,
No medical knowledge to contribute just praying for you that Ellie is right and it's b9, also for peace-of-mind until you can get it tested and confirmed one way or another. One foot in front of the other. Based on your history you've beaten this beast quite soundly in the past already.

Missyw 05-12-2010 07:35 AM

Hi Full of Beans,

I had a node a couple of years ago that the onc was watching. It went down on its own within a month or so, and my next scans were all good. Please try not to worry. There are so many reasons to have a swollen node, especially after being ill. Do push for any and all confirming tests so you can once again relax.
Sending you prayers and hugs,
Missy

fullofbeans 05-12-2010 10:13 AM

Hi missy hope all is going for the best for you.

Was your node a right supraclavicular node???

vlcarr 05-12-2010 11:18 AM

Sending my positive thoughts your way. I don't have any experience to share but wanted to know I was thinking of you.

schoolteacher 05-12-2010 02:12 PM

Thinking of you. Hope you have a better night.

Amelia

Lien 05-12-2010 02:48 PM

Dear Fullofbeans,
I know this is scary. You have been NED for quite a while, so going back to active cancer is what you probably have been fearing all along.

I know three people who were diagnosed with lungcancer. Couldn't be anything else. Biopsies in all three were BENIGN. Doctors were flabbergasted. But it happened. I know several women (at least 4) who were diagnosed with BC Mets, went back to being NED and are still fine, years and years later. Yes, this could be a return of your cancer. But it could also be something else. My best friend is a dermatologist and she once told me: the longer I do this work, the more I become aware that I really know very little, because my patients surprise me on a regular basis.

What I'm trying to say is this: don't give up hope. Wait till tests confirm what it is and don't start planning the next move until you know what's what. Go back to your doc and tell her how you feel and that you would like to get it tested.

Sending waves of relaxation and healing vibes,

Jacqueline

lkc Gumby 05-12-2010 04:56 PM

hi Full of Beans.
I am sorry to hear that you are so scared. I think sometimes at night, while googling for some assurance, we can pick up on something that freaks us out. ( Iknow I did it ALL the time)
It is not unusual to watch a small node. and you can have swelling on either side due to infection. The hoarseness lends itself to an inflammatory process and it not uncommon w/ Herceptin.
Please try to relax. I know it's hard to wait and I hope your appt can be moved up. I will keep you in my prayers for good news.

fullofbeans 05-12-2010 05:06 PM

Thank you all for your good vibes and prayers

I am fighting hard to keep the hope

xoxoxoxox

caya 05-12-2010 07:28 PM

Hi Beans,

Just saw this thread, I am sending you hugs and encouragment... Keep us posted.

all the best
caya

Jean 05-12-2010 09:28 PM

Fullofbeans,
I am glad you called the registrar I did some research and she is correct....

The right supraclavicular node drains the mediastinum,
lungs, esophagus and can harbor infection. Many things can cause the node to enlarge. Have question for you,
is the node mushy or hard?

Having a sore throat along with your node could very well be infection ...and the nodes can stay enlarged for
some time.

I know it is easier said then done about worrying, so do make an appt to go in and get some answers.

I hope you are feeling a bit better and please know I am thinking and praying for good news from you.

kindest regards,
jean

ElaineM 05-12-2010 09:36 PM

I have my fingers crossed for your throat problem to be something less than cancer that can be fixed easily. Let us know how you are doing after you see the doc and get tested.

fullofbeans 05-13-2010 03:48 AM

Thank you all again for your good thoughts

Jean,the lump is as the onc put it of "uncertain clinical significance", it not mushy at all but it is not rock hard, it is mobile but not highly mobile.. so we are not much wiser..

the fact that it is too small at mo for aspiration is the reason we are waiting. I guess I could have it out and analysed but that would be a drastic decision. I have read that over 90% of lump in that specific node are cancerous..this is why it is freaking me out and no where do they talk about infection but i guess it is a possibility for which I hold my breath for. Also I have a rash on my right arms and a bad neck for a little while which I did not mention because I did not think it was possibly related (think neck is from bad position on computer and the rash from the sun..)

There have been a few scare on this site that seemed a bit desperate and turned out to be b9. let's hope I make the list longer..