HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Great news after mastectomy (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41310)

vlcarr 10-04-2009 08:24 PM

Great news after mastectomy

I got my pathology report after my mastectomy on 09/25--also got my drainage tubes removed--YEAH.

The report showed no cancer present, some DCIS and no cancer in 17 lymph nodes removed. I'm doing well but just so sore. I have exercises to start tomorrow and will be doing some physical therapy.

Will start TCH every 3 weeks for 4 months on 10/15.

Thanks to all of you have given me answers and words of encouragement:)

I need to complete my bio with signature but here is the lowdown:

Age 47, TN
Her2+, ER/PR-, Stage II
Sentinel node biopsy showed speck in lymph nodes
Did clinical trial for 3 months of weekly Herceptin, 1000 mg of Tykerb daily
No cancer present at time of mastectomy and none in 17 lymph nodes removed!!!!

ElaineM 10-04-2009 08:28 PM

Re: Great news after mastectomy

Congratulations !! Good luck with the therapy and chemo.

lexigirl 10-04-2009 08:30 PM

Great news!!

Hugs,
Lexi

vlcarr 10-04-2009 08:30 PM

Well, I forgot to include it was the right breast and the tumor was 8 cm at beginning of the trial.

Chelee 10-04-2009 08:56 PM

That is wonderful news. Congrats! Isn't it nice to have those darned tubes removed...it's instant relief! I know your sore...but it won't be long and that too will be behind you. Hang in there.

Chelee

Lien 10-05-2009 01:46 AM

That's excellent news! May your chemo be easy on you and may you never get this or any cancer again.

Hugs

Jacqueline

whatz 10-05-2009 04:27 AM

Great news. Congrats! 8cm eh? The chemo sure did it's job well!

ammebarb 10-05-2009 05:07 AM

That is super news! There must be such relief at knowing that the chemo did it's "stuff". Hope your recuperation is quick and complete.

Barb A.

LoriE 10-05-2009 05:48 AM

Yay for you!!!! Nothing but good news and that makes us all smile.

duga35 10-05-2009 07:09 AM

Great news!!!

WolverineFan 10-05-2009 12:04 PM

Yeah!!!! Congratulations!!!

tricia keegan 10-05-2009 12:13 PM

Celebrating right along with you!!!
Congratulations:)

Ruth 10-05-2009 01:37 PM

Great news!
Hugs ~ Ruth

DanaRT 10-05-2009 01:43 PM

Vicky,

I am so happy to read your GREAT news!~

big happy hugs,
Dana

Sheila 10-05-2009 04:43 PM

That is great news, the chemo really kicked butt....the herceptin will be a piece of cake now!!!!

DanaRT 10-05-2009 04:58 PM

Vicky,

Starting TCH on a Thursday might work for you. My down days were day 2 and 3 then I began to feel more human. Although, "down days" simply meant sleep and more sleep. So over the weekend you can crash and be ready to go by Monday. Best wishes.

Take your anti-neusea (sp?) at the first sign of gagginess. Stock up on a bit of orange sherbert and drink lots of water.

Stay healthy.

Love,
Dana

vlcarr 10-05-2009 07:31 PM

Thanks Dana. I had been wondering when the down days would be. I'm still not working right now--took off 6 weeks after surgery. The crappy part of that will be my husband will be working weekends. He changes every 6 weeks and begins Thursday - Saturday 7am-7pm this weekend. Did you need someone with you or just felt crappy and stayed in bed? I have some neighbors who can help with the 3 dogs if I need it.

I guess I'm asking how I will fair home alone or should I get my daughter to come and stay with me?

Karen Wheel 10-06-2009 05:04 AM

Vicky - great news! Congrats!!!! I did a low toxic chemo (see my stats) and I found I just wanted to nap a bunch - was really tired - but more so the first 4 weeks- then I started taking the chemo in pill format and it seemed to work better and the exhaustion was not so bad...

If you haven't heard my thoughts on good reading material - my biggest tips are these:

Get a juicer and start juicing - think this saved my bum with helping sooooo much in my energy level - as you can get so many nutrients in 3-4 cups of fresh juice and you don't have to EAT all that fiber and actual food... it is a great way to help your energy when doing chemo.

Also - my favorite book (now I use it as a daily manual) but if you ever wanted a book about how to cure (yes CURE!) cancer - please read this one.

A Cancer Battle Plan Sourcebook - by David Frahm.
there are two Cancer Battleplans - get the SOURCEBOOK - it is the better and latest version with lots more stuff in it.

It is a simple read - it explains so much and gives a TON of information on how to fight cancer.

I am doing this approach along with all the medical treatments as I have yet to hear one of my doctors say that they can cure the cancer.... they keep saying they will only prolong my life.... ugh! So, I want to live - and live for more than 5 or 10 years ---(I just turned 45!) so thinking 40 more is more what I had in mind!

Hope this helps - but while you are home and recooping - try reading this book! :-) Amazon.com has them half price almost if they have a used copy....

Feel free to email me if you want to chat about it: wheelistic@yahoo.com

:-) Karen