HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tmj? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41032)

GemmaG 09-09-2009 02:17 PM

Tmj?

Hello everybody,
Had anyone have experienced TMJ? I'm not quite sure if it is really TMJ for me. I've been having these symptoms for a long time now. Blurry vision, headaches at the back of the head, balance problems, ear pain feeling of fullness, tooth pain, jaw joint problem, throat, etc., etc...
My med onc think it might be TMJ?
Thanks for taking time to read my post. And yeah, some memory issues...:-(

Hugs,
Gemma

Jackie07 09-09-2009 03:53 PM

Re: Tmj?

So your doctor thought you might have temporalmandibular joint problem? What about the aftereffect of your Brain surgery? I would assume that you are having annual scan of the brain? I have mild tmj, but I also have had a couple of brain surgeries. Unless there is a scan to confirm otherwise, and a dental check is OK, I wouldn't let the issue go easily before your symptom has improved.

MJo 09-10-2009 07:55 AM

I agree with Jackie. You had brain surgery and doctor says your symptoms are due to TMJ? Is brain surgery like getting over a cold these days? I have/had TMJ. Dentist made me several mouth appliances, and I accidentally threw them away twice -- clear plastic. A dental technician told me to try the mouth protectors football players wear -- you get them in a sporting goods store. You can also get a mouth protector kit at the drug store. OR you can have the dentist make you one. Some dental insurance covers it. I get pain in the jaw and side of my face, headaches and stiff neck from TMJ.

Sheila 09-10-2009 06:53 PM

Gemma
I sent you a private message...hoping you are feeling better, if not, get in and get it checked, with an MRI!!!!!
Big Hugs

LAURIE 09-10-2009 07:22 PM

I had tmj problems 19 years ago, after a car accident. I found out what really caused it. Laying on the floor or on my bed with my fist holding up my chin up and out. Just resting my chin on my hand caused major jaw popping, and headache problems. The teeth clenching did not help either, but how I was sitting and laying made the biggest difference.

harrie 09-13-2009 06:58 PM

Hi Gemma,
Some of the more typical symptoms of TJM might include pain on the side of the face, possibly but not necessarily headaches, muscular tightness in neck and maybe shoulders. Stess is a common reason for TJM issues. Tooth pain can result from clenching. Blurry vision. balancing problems and throat pain is not usually assoc with TJM. Could these be side effects of your treatments?
Massages and acupunture can help. Mouth splints can help soften the trauma from clenching. Learning to let go of control and stress might be the most beneficial in the long run. This is probably also the hardest to do.
Oh yes, and if it is TMJ, treat the joint as you would a bum knee that acts up. Ibuprofen, if you can take it, will help make you more comfortable and stay away from gum, hard foods, and chewy foods while it is acting up.