HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   treatment update (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38712)

WomanofSteel 04-01-2009 06:18 AM

treatment update

Monday I went to the cancer center and saw my oncologist. She decided to treat me with navelbine as well as herceptin. When I asked her why just a single chemo, she stated that she didn't want to blow the whole wad right now, that she wanted to leave me alternatives. She also recommended that I see my regular doc who is a pulminologist about my cough. I had my 1st treatment and then when I got home developed a fever and chills. Luckily it went away overnight with some tylenol. I went to see my regular doc in the morning and he put me on prednisone 3x a day, tusso dmr capsules 3x a day and a claritin. I had a beathing test done and my lung function was down. So the plan is to get my cough under control so I can have a bronchoscopy done. I will see him again on the 9th and hopefully we will set a date for this procedure. In the meantime I will continue on the navelbine 3x a month and herceptin 2x a month. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

tricia keegan 04-01-2009 06:22 AM

Hi,

I don't have any personal advice to offer you but just wanted to wish you luck on this tx and hope that cough eases soon.
My best wishes for a great response.:)

runtolive 04-01-2009 07:02 AM

dont know who your onc is.. but once you have mets.. you throw everything including the kitchen sink at it..

ask her about clinical trials.. including hsp shock inhibitor and tdm1

run

Mary Anne in TX 04-01-2009 07:20 AM

Wishing you the very best WOS!!!! Love the pic of your pals!!!
Their journal is a masterpiece!!! ma

Believe51 04-01-2009 07:51 AM

Hey Girl, I was thinking of you more than usual on Monday as you were on your way to a game plan. I sent positive vibes your as you were there planning the next course of action to abolishing those mets. I am so happy that you posted an update for us. Now go attack those dreadful nasties and show them that you mean business!!>>Believe51

PS: I like that story.

chrisy 04-01-2009 10:40 AM

wos,
glad to hear you're on your way with a new treatment plan. Let the Navelbine and Herceptin work on the cancer while you focus with your regular doctor on getting your lungs back in shape.

There are lots of different approaches to treating mets. My oncoloogist is a firm believer in taking a longer view, maximizing efficacy while minimizing toxicity. The less toxic your treatment, the more "resources" your body retains to continue the fight. You've got to stay strong. So in that case, less can sometimes be more in terms of chemo.

Clinical trials are an option, especially if you have minimal disease, less chemo history and are otherwise in good healty. If you're interested in these, make sure your onc knows this.

Otherwise, keep in mind this is a long race, not a sprint!

Hope the Navelbine does the trick!
Chris

WomanofSteel 04-01-2009 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the prayers and well wishes. Marie I love your avatar(of course it's the Goof!)

Believe51 04-01-2009 01:31 PM

Yeah Womanof Steel, I was replying to our 'quiz thread' and was having problems with the recall process. PinkGirl had me 'ole brain taxed so I thought it was appropriate. Talk to you soon Lovey.>>Believe51

schoolteacher 04-01-2009 01:31 PM

WOS,

Hope you are feeling better today. Hope the cough has subsided.

Amelia

Becky 04-01-2009 03:24 PM

Navelbine or Gemzar can cause a fever the first day so that's normal even though poor you - you don't feel too well.

Did you ask about an anti-hormonal? It might do the trick and be very synergistic (especially with the Herceptin).

caya 04-01-2009 07:28 PM

Hey WOS,

Hope you are feeling better and those mets will be kicked to the curb.

all the best
caya

ElaineM 04-01-2009 08:58 PM

treatment update

I hope you kick that other nasty little bug to the curb, so you can focus on BC. Take care.

hermiracles 04-03-2009 09:26 AM

All the best with the switch in treatment Sis. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Blessings
Hermiracles

sassy 04-03-2009 06:15 PM

Hoping today is a better day and your lungs are getting ready for the fight.

Shobha 04-03-2009 06:26 PM

Hi Womanofsteel,

I am sending a special prayer for you and wishing you the very best! May the new treatment plan work wonders for you!

Jean 04-03-2009 08:44 PM

WOS,
Best wishes with the new treatment.

Jean