HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Definition of Inscanity (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35889)

hutchibk 10-02-2008 12:30 AM

Definition of Inscanity

Albert Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

HER2Support once said "The definition of in-scan-ity is doing the same thing over and over again and, depending on the circumstances, hoping and praying you either do or don't get different results".

chrisy 10-02-2008 12:49 PM

I love it! (The definition, not the inscanity)

Jackie07 10-02-2008 04:55 PM

Brilliant!

Poor me, I actually opened the dictionary trying to find the word 'inscanity'. Only the original 'in-scan-ity' helped me to figure it out .

Well, it proved again that English is still my 2nd language...

I called the nurse practitioner this pm and then went to the clinic before she answered my call - Scott & White had just built a new wing for the Cancer Center (with a direct, seperate entrance) and there are windows through which you can see the greens and trees out by the parking lot, very pleasant. After I waited for the 45 minutes the receptionist had estimated, my oncologist came out of the door and greeted me. He checked the place of my concern and told me that they were the joints of the muscle and rib. I must have twisted or bumped it somehow to have caused the pain.

It is hard to deal with patients like me who not only has possibly chemo brain, but also have cognitive issues related to the Gamma-knife and brain surgery. I simply could not remember how and when I might have hurt myself. (Stretching while walking? Possibly.)

Staff on the oncology ward probably are familiar with both insanity and inscanity. And I wonder if I would have been going to the clinic so often had it not been located just 10 minutes from the house and is right next to H.E.B. (grocery store) and the Mall.

Do I feel completely assured? Not really, since my scans had been misread for 4 full years before my recurrence was found. Am I going to have a panic attack soon? Probably not. Since I've learned how unsympathetic the local authority are.

I'll be vigillant until I see my 'beloved' (yes, my Mother-in-law granted me permission because 'everybody falls in love with their doctors') Dr. Ruud ( a Norwagian descent) who just might be a distant cousin since my hubby's side are originally from Sweden.

Do you think I am in-sane or in-scan? :)

Pam P 10-02-2008 05:00 PM

Oh, boy that quote is surely true.

fullofbeans 10-03-2008 03:35 AM

nice twist of quote, it made me smile..

harrie 10-05-2008 11:45 PM

Brenda, what are the characters or symbols in your avatar?

SoCalGal 10-06-2008 12:07 AM

I think it's Hebrew for happy birthday:)

I want to know too!

hutchibk 10-06-2008 12:11 AM

it's the japanese symbols for "zen"...

And after being so pissed most of the day, I needed to go zen...

Jackie07 10-06-2008 02:28 AM

It's really a Chinese character (word). It is a branch of buddhism that originated from India. After Buddhism flourished in China, it was introduced to Japan and the Zen branch became really popular there after 11th Century.

The Japanese language adopted both the European phonetic method(and they created their own symbols) and traditional Chinese words. This was done around the 16th Century. Before then, all Japanese writings were done in Chinese, though the pronunciation is slightly different.

In East Asia (Japan, Korea) and Southeast Asia (Vietnam and ?), most of the historical documents were written in pure Chinese. Kind of like what Latin was in Europe, the written form of Chinese was 'the' communication tools among different nations in that region for at least a thousand years. Most of the Japanese Zen poetry traditionally are written in Chinese.

It (Zen) kind of means an 'abrupt enlightenment' - one suddently 'gets it' while practicing meditation.