HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Fractionated Cyberknife?? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32868)

IRENE FROM TAMPA 02-29-2008 07:57 AM

Fractionated Cyberknife??

Joy suggested checking into fractionated Cyberknife. I dont know much about this procedure but am reading up on it. I did not think I would be a candidate for such a procedure but I am going to check with my oncologist when I see him in a couple of weeks. I know that everytime I ask if there is something that they can do that can go directly to the tumor, they say that the one's in my abdomin area are too close to areas that could cause great complications if they slip.

This procedure sounds great if they could do, especially to the areas in my neck that are so close to the surface.

Esther - I know you are getting ready to have done - any info you could pass on to me please do or anyone else.

I begin my new combo today of Ixempra/Xeloda and as I swallowed those first two pills of Xeloda this morning I remember vividly how bad my hands/feet got last time, but we can monitor and reduce if need be before it gets out of hand.

I am already searching for my next plan of action should this fail and hope the Herceptin/DM1 trial pushes through quickly for everyone. I am going to continue checking on that exclusion also.

My onc said that my CT of my sinus showed no abnormalitites and no infections so I think that this last set of chemos I was on was causing my nose to bleed and bad inflammation set in. I have been doing the NETI Pot rinse and I have noticed great improvement. I will continue doing this daily. If any of you suffer from nasal issues, I recommend it highly.

We took advantage of my feeling better and went to the opening day of our STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL yesterday. Very nice sunny day, small festival but very nice. GREAT strawberries - its just a shame that I could not get the full taste of them, but I am sure that will return. It feels so good and appreciated to have a good day....

You all are so wonderful and I feel so loved on this board - thank you all again for your support. My love and prayers are ALWAYS with everyone on this board.

Take care

Sheila 02-29-2008 08:48 AM

Irene
Is that strawberry festival outside of Lakeland...I have been to it and can't remember the town it was in....am I old or is it chemo brain???

IRENE FROM TAMPA 02-29-2008 07:15 PM

Hi Sheila

so good to hear from you. How are your treatments going? I see you have been on the Taxol/Herceptin since last June. That has been a good time and hope all going well.

No the festival is actully in Plant City which is really just down the road from Tampa. Small town, very quaint and the festival is always a nice thing to do. Gets me in the mood for when all of the fresh vegetable come out in the fields and get ready for picking. This is something I hope to do with some of my grandchildren this year, God willing. I have been missing out on too much and need to get some of these simple things back in my life ( and its a plus to have them there to do the picking once I convince them how much fun it is - haha)

Let me know how everything is with you please my friend.

Bev 02-29-2008 09:07 PM

Irene,

Wish I knew the answers to the treatment questions,

Your post touched me as my grandmother had a berry farm in PA and brings back a lot of memories, of me as a child, picking them, straw, blue, rasp and black. Loved every minute, except creepy bugs.

Best wishes, Bev

Esther 03-04-2008 04:38 PM

Hi Irene!

I'm in Palo Alto right now spending the week here getting fractionated cyberknife.

From what I can understand, fractionated cyberknife is a safer way to treat tumors in a sensitive area, where you need to avoid other healthy tissue.

In my case, the liver lesion I have is very close to my small intestine, so fractionated cyberknife is a good option.

A good, experienced cyberknife team is important too, if Stanford is an option, I highly recommend them. Otherwise, go to the website for the company that makes the cyberknife, www.accuray.com and check for locations of cyberknife facilities.

You will have to check into how experienced they are, but there are facilities everywhere. You can also post your question on the message boards of the cyberknife support group, www.cyberknifesupport.org
There are some experts that volunteer their time and answer questions.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I just had treatment #2, out of 5 today.