HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What's considered a big jump w/ markers? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31497)

KellyA 12-06-2007 03:16 PM

What's considered a big jump w/ markers?

Hi all,

I was just wondering what a "big" jump for markers is? I got my results today and they went up from 16.8 to 24.8- still in normal range, but seems like a big jump. I go for a repeat bone scan on Monday to check on my "rib spot" that has been there since last Jan. (doc thinks its nothing). Now I'm going to be a worried mess waiting. Xanax here I come.....

Love, Kelly

Jean 12-06-2007 03:22 PM

Hi Kelly,
Love your photo!
Try not to get upset...from what I understand the markers can move up and down for many different reasons. You are still in the normal range.
My onc. is not in big favor of the markers, he uses them but does not depend only on them. Kelly, did you have radiation? Often times there
is some rib soreness from radiation that can last a while.

Hopefully all is wel - I hate that this disease plays with our minds.
Take a deep breath and think positive.

Kind Regards,
jean

KellyA 12-06-2007 03:27 PM

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your reply. I did have radiation, however the spot is on the other "good" side, directly under my implant. It is a "new" spot, as it was not there on my baseline, which was after surgery. So far, my markers have been running lower went I have gone for my scans, and although I know they are not always reliable, I have had a little more peace of mind going into the scans with the lower numbers.....

All I want for Christmas is a good scan..... I don't want much do I?! :-)

Love, Kelly

Jean 12-06-2007 03:53 PM

Kelly,
Just did some addtional checking and found something intereting which may give you some additional peace of mind.

I read that it is not unusual for there to be a spike as a result of dying cancer cells spilling their contents into the bloodstream. Since you recently completed herceptin maybe that is a reason.

Enjoy Christmas - You earned it!
Hugs,
Jean

KellyA 12-06-2007 03:56 PM

Thanks Jean- Let's say that's what it is :-). I appreciate you looking up the info for me.

Love, Kelly

Mary Jo 12-06-2007 04:57 PM

Hi Kelly,

I ditto what Jean said about your photo. It really is SO nice. You really are a beautiful lady. Your heart seems as beautiful as you look on the outside.http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Sending prayers for God's Peace to hold you as you wait for results. I know (as we all do) how difficult that is. May the Lord keep you in His perfect peace and may the results be ONLY good. Amen

Mary Jo

anne2 12-06-2007 06:37 PM

Hi
I know it is worrisome to have the TM jump. Did you have a cold or were feeling under the weather when they were done? My mom's onc says that any inflammation can affect marker and still be normal. It is good you are getting scanned to be on the safe side.
Think good thoughts and I will pray you have good results.
Hugs,
Anne

eric 12-06-2007 07:49 PM

Kelly,

Caryn's doctor has made it clear that tm's can go up and down often. It becomes more concerning if it shoots up or continues to move up each time. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry as it could easily be nothing.
By the way, I agree...great picture of you and your son (my assumption).

Eric

Barbara2 12-06-2007 09:58 PM

I saw Dr. Pegram this past April and what follows is his response to my question about tumor markers. I have to say, I wish I would have pressed him a little more for details. My numbers went up recently, too, and it made me quite nervous. I won't know anything further until my next 3 month check. (This is why some oncs don't do the markers...it causes such anxiety...and if there is trouble brewing, we wouldn't know until symptoms appear or the markers continue to rise.) Here is Dr. Pegram:

Tumor Markers:

What is your opinion of having markers done?<O:p

I do them. They’re not very good, but I do them once in a while. It’s about like the barometric pressure. “How’s the weather today?” Oh its 760 millimeters of mercury today; well that’s one atmosphere, so that tells you maybe it’s not high or low but it doesn’t tell you the temp, clouds, precip. So that’s exactly the analogy I would make of the tumor markers. They’re a piece of a puzzle; by themselves they’re virtually worthless. But I still give them.

My CA27-29 #s have been in the normal range, but went down a little more after completing Herceptin. Might that possibly show that Herceptin had an effect?<O:p

They’re all in the normal range. It doesn’t mean a thing. Any bouncing around in the normal range doesn’t mean a thing. I don’t get impressed unless those things double on 2 separate occasions, back to back, a month apart. To impress me it would have to go from 20 to 40 to 80, then I’d say maybe something’s going on. That just means it’s time to take a look with some tests, but it’s not alarming. But 20 to 40 even, doesn’t get me excited. 40 doesn’t mean anything; 38 is the upper end of normal. So if it doesn’t double twice, then I’m unimpressed.

Catherine 12-06-2007 10:10 PM

Hi Kelly, I am not in the TM consulation realm much yet...But starting in January, I will only see my onc. once every 4 months. Even for the last year and a half he really does not tell me what my TMS are. He thinks it is too easy to get hung up on the numbers. I really trust him, and feel he will tell me if I need to be concerned. He also wants me to report anything that I do not think is "right." about my body. He has already told me that he does not rely 100% on TM because they do fluctuate....I really know nothing.....Just want to send good vibes your way. Pox on those TM numbers. Get some rest, and try not to worry...yeah, yeah

Catherine

Mary Anne in TX 12-07-2007 01:57 AM

Hi Kelly!
Mine have been as low as 25 (can hardly remember back that far!) but usually stay around 30 something to high 40s! *CA 27-29
I have had scans (including a brain MRI) and they found nothing!
Maybe I'm just tired of worrying about myself, but I just guess mine run a bit high!
Please try not to worry and just wait for the "good news"! I hope they find nothing new for you and that you get great news for the holidays! ma

KellyA 12-07-2007 02:57 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement. I really do feel much better. :-) I will try not to think about it today and this weekend and pray for good results Monday. The plan is that if the "spot" is gone or unchanged, my port comes out. Fingers crossed......

Love, Kelly

Chelee 12-07-2007 01:30 PM

Kellly, My tumor markers stay at 15. But not long ago it jumped up to 25...I thought, Ut Oh. But we ran them again 2 months later and it was back down to 18. So I would try not to worry even though thats easier said then done. You will feel better once you get your scan out of the way Monday and it comes back clean. :) I'll be thinking of your Monday. Hang in there.

Chelee