HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bye-Bye Port (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31206)

SusanV 11-20-2007 10:25 AM

Bye-Bye Port

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to share some happy news...Last Monday I had my last Herceptin Tx (Hooooray) After a visit with the onc I decided to have my port removed right away also. (Had that done yesterday)

Really feeling GREAT ! Not spending even one precious moment dwelling on the past or worried about the future....Time now to LIVE !

LOVE TO ALL

Susan V

Hopeful 11-20-2007 10:33 AM

Susan,

Congratulations and thanks for checking in. Best of luck to you from here on out.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Hopeful

Brenda_D 11-20-2007 11:08 AM

Congrats on the port removal. It does mean moving on to another phase in your life.

I spent the first 5 months wanting my port gone because it was sore, but now I'd be a little ambivalent about getting it out.
I don't have to decide that for 7 more months, at least. By then I may be ready to get it out.

rinaina 11-20-2007 11:24 AM

congratulations on this momentous occasion. i am so happy for you and know just how you feel. my last herceptin was aug 9 and my port came out the following week. continued good health.

nitewind 11-20-2007 11:24 AM

From one Susan to another, I'm so happy for you, I'll bet you feel as great as you sound! I get my last one in three weeks, still trying to decide about the port. Maybe within the next three weeks I'll start feeling a lot more positive. You have a great outlook and attitude. Again, Congratulations!
Big Hugs

Believe51 11-20-2007 11:26 AM

one word for ya

CHOW!! Keep us updated. Continued Prayers>>Believe51

Susan66 11-20-2007 11:35 AM

Yeah for you! Mine is making things so much easier but I still feel uneasy that it's in my body.

BonnieR 11-20-2007 12:28 PM

Although I just had mine "installed" a few weeks ago I am curious how it is removed. Is it another surgical proceedure?

Joanne S 11-20-2007 12:46 PM

I too had my last Herceptin on Monday. I plan to keep my medi-port exactly where it is in my chest. I've learned to love it. It has been there for 14 months and has been a life-saver to safely administer chemo. Since I only have a few good veins on my right arm and can't use my left arm for IV or blood draws. I will get it flushed once a month. I know many patients that have had their port in for many years. I also know many patients who had it immediately removed and some of those had to have it implanted again.

Best to you Susan V,

tousled1 11-20-2007 01:02 PM

Congratulations. Now it's time to start living again!

rinaina 11-20-2007 01:07 PM

BonnieR, it is removed exactly the same way it was put in, surgically, but really no big deal, although my port was in my lower forearm not my chest.

BonnieR 11-20-2007 01:39 PM

Thanks Rinaina. I have heard people refer to it as an "office proceedure". But I had it installed in surgery. I was OUT! And that is how I want it removed!

weezie1053 11-20-2007 06:42 PM

I too had my last Herceptin injection last week. Bought my Oncologist a new lab coat to replace his soiled one. Told him I was in retail, and I just couldn't help myself. Bought a half sheet cake with the BC symbol for the nursing staff. I was lucky that my favorite nurses were all working. It was like a celebration!!! They were truly happy for me.

The nurses recommended I leave my port in for a year! I fussed at them for being Negative Nellies. My oncologist recommended I wait until my next mammo in Feb. I am envious of you. Congratulations!

Louise

dhealey 11-20-2007 06:51 PM

Congrats on being all done with treatment!!!!!! I have 2 more herceptin treatments to go. I tend to be on the cautious side and have decided to leave my port in awhile as I hardly know it's there. I certainly will celebrate when I'm done with treatment though. Plan on having a big glass of wine!

Bev 11-20-2007 11:03 PM

Congrats Susan. I kept mine in for 3 mos only because I didn't want to take any time off during the holiday season which my onc thought was odd, like I was pessimistic. They knocked me out, more or less the same as install.

I just had a grudge with the port. Did not like having a big wart on my chest. Good riddance. Best wishes, Bev