HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   local recurrence after radiotherapy? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28852)

romo9 06-21-2007 07:27 PM

local recurrence after radiotherapy?

Dear all, I could really do with some advice. I was diagnosed in oct 04 with a 3cm her+++ tumour and 18 positive nodes. Prior to diagnosis I had cording in my axilla and a red flush on my breast. The tumour was not diagnosed on mammogram or ultra sound initially. Had chemo, radiotherapy to nodes and axilla and a lumpectomy. I have just finished 2 years of herceptin.
Three weeks ago I woke up with a red flushed breast that was swollen but no pain. (I had had a bad virus with a temperature prior to this and it continued for a further 2 weeks.) I immediately went to see my surgeon who put me on antibiotics and ordered a mammo and ultra sound and bloods. All the tests were negative and the swelling and redness went down somewhat. Now I am left with a more localised residual redness and a thickening after two weeks of antibiotics. My surgeon says cellulitis is common after radiotherapy - But over 2 years later? My question is - could the supposed cellulitis be a red herring is it possible to have local recurrence after radiotherapy or am I just being paranoid?

Bev 06-21-2007 08:39 PM

Just guessing. Shingles? Could be cellulitis, doesn't sound like IBC. Keep after them and get some sort of answer. BB

tricia keegan 06-22-2007 01:55 PM

I am over a year finished rads and can still feel a hurd lump area which itches and gives me some mild pain. My surgeon said it's radiation induced fibrosis which in some people can last years. It does make me nervous though and glad my next mammo is due soon..just in case!

Adriana Mangus 06-22-2007 09:33 PM

Cellulitis

Dear Romo: It sounds more like cellulitis, I have had at least three separate cases of cellulitis on my rt arm, (removal of lymph nodes-underarm) and even now after more than 12 years I do get redness on my arm and swelling. Do not get paranoid; all tests were negative; keep that in mind.Take care.

Catherine 06-22-2007 11:17 PM

I am not sure what all this means. My radiation was over Dec 06. I started PT about March 07 and continued thru June 07. My PT taught me a lot about stretching my arms, chest, and skin. She worked hard to "loosen"
my facia. My massage therapist is continuing this. I do not know if any of this stretching relates to celluitis? I do not even know what that is. But I am very thankful for what my PT has taught me about my body, range of motion and my lymph system.

Take care, Catherine

romo9 06-23-2007 07:52 PM

Thanks

Dear allthanks for your imput i will see the doctor in 6 weeks to check! Romo

Lolly 06-23-2007 09:57 PM

If you are still concerned when you see the doc, ask for a biopsy. A simple and definitive way to answer your concerns.