HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Headaches ? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28778)

Emelie 06-18-2007 08:57 AM

Headaches ?

I have reviewed all the posts on the site regarding headaches and I still am not sure what it is. I have been on Herceptin now for 6 months/Herceptin only for 2 1/2 months and I have a headace all the time. Sometimes asprin helps for awhile, but then it is back. I wake up with one. Did anyone else have this?
Any thoughts appreciated.
Emelie

chrisy 06-18-2007 09:07 AM

It could very well be the Herceptin. I had frequent, although intermittent, sinus-like headaches while on Herceptin. They'd last a week or so then go away for a while , then come back again. If you have consistent, constant headaches, tell your doctor and you may want to request a brain MRI just to be reassured.

Susan McQ 06-18-2007 07:43 PM

headaches

I've been having sinus like headaches more frequently when I have been on herceptin. A lady in my support group talked to me last week about the headaches. I'm hoping now that I've finished with herceptin, the headaches will decrease also.

If I could only get rid of the chemo brain.

Susan

Carolyns 06-18-2007 07:49 PM

Emelie,

I am sorry to hear about your headache. I am on Herceptin and have a headache if I do not stay well hydrated. I must drink a lot of water or I get a dull headache. Mine comes with motion.

I did have a headache once a while back and asked for an MRI. It came back clean and my headache went away.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Love, Hope, and Peace,

Carolyn

Emelie 06-19-2007 09:45 AM

Thanks for responding ladies. I am so paronoid now! I feel like a hypocondreac.(sp) It always make me feel better to know someone else has expereinced similiar issues.
Thanks again,
Emelie

Grace 06-19-2007 11:13 AM

Emelie--I was complaining to my oncologist yesterday of similar problems and said "I feel like a hypochondriac." His response was, you would be if you didn't have cancer. You can't be a hypochondriac after cancer--you need to be concerned about all your symptoms. This is not to suggest you have a problem, beyond a reaction to herceptin or one of the millions of other things that can cause headache, but don't feel guilty!

Caroline UK 06-20-2007 04:04 PM

Hi Emelie, how are you now?
Good suggestions from others, especially about getting tested to rule out any unwanted possibilities.
I wonder if the headaches might be partly due, as someone's already said, to dehydration. I find some mornings, I wake up with a headache and a particularly dry nose; the two things seem to go together. The Herceptin is known to interfere with production of the fine hair cells in our sinuses, isn't it. What helps to avoid the headache for me, is applying Vaseline (do you call it that in the States? Petroleum jelly) to the inside of my nostrils last thing at night. I think this helps moisturise the air as it passes through. That's my theory anyway. And you can get these things that put moisture into the air...chemo brain won't give me the name....aaaagh....help! Whatever that's called, it might help as well. Just asked husband - HUMIDIFIER!
Best wishes

Emelie 06-21-2007 10:26 AM

Headaches and stress

Thanks again ladies. You are probably right and I am not drinking enough fluid and dehydrated. Gracie, thank you for your post. I agree. Pre-cancer I never got sick. I mean never. Now, I just get scared. Hope that supsides with time.
I think once we get moved to Denver and settle in, I will feel better. Have a Herceptin tx tomorrow, the movers come on Mon. we leave Tues. and we are supposed to close on the house on Fri. next week. I have to admit I am tired.
Thanks again for your responses and I will try the Vaseline in my nose tonight.
Moving in slow motion,
Emelie

Melissai 08-09-2007 08:27 AM

I have been suffering from horrible migrane type headaches. I just did my last herceptin 2 weeks ago. I was on Arimidex and Lupron injections. The onc thought my headaches were from Arimidex so took me off. The headaches went away for a few weeks then started Aromasyn and within 10 days headache was back so I stopped taking it. The headache went away but 10 days later it is back just not as bad so now I sit here and think maybe its the Lupron. I wonder if anyone out there has had this problem? Had a brain MRI last month. Everything is clean.

Becky 08-09-2007 06:36 PM

We always forget that some of the medications we take are not child's play. Lupron could be the culprit as it is a hormonal as well. You should google it and see what the side effects are.

Beckie 08-09-2007 08:14 PM

Your headaches most likely are due to medications but please don't put off having a brain MRI. I had no symptoms before my doctor asked if I had headaches, then I noticed sinus type headaches. Her2+ patients really need to have a brain MRI once a year. I don't want to scare you, but rule it out. I pray you are clear and your headaches are just a side effect. God bless.

Beckie

Lala 08-09-2007 08:16 PM

Here is a good website to look up the side effects of chemotherapy drugs.
Click on chemotherapy drugs to see the list
www.chemocare.com

tousled1 08-09-2007 09:08 PM

Emelie,

I agree it could be you are dehydrated or it could be chronic sinusitis. If you haven't had a brain MRI done in the last year I would ask your oncologist to order one.