HER2 Support Group Forums

HER2 Support Group Forums (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php)
-   her2group (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "Thumping" in Ear? Can it be serious? Does A/C cross into the brain? (https://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25914)

mekasan 11-02-2006 07:57 AM

"Thumping" in Ear? Can it be serious? Does A/C cross into the brain?

Can this a sign of something serious, like a lesion or tumor?

Although this is ear related, it is not the same as tinnitus (ringing) so I wanted to start a new thread.

Has anyone else sensed an intermittent painless "thumping" in the ear. I have been experiencing this on and off for almost 2 months now. Mostly on my right side at different levels of intensity and duration. It comes and goes for no explicable reasons (i keep track of caffine, exerices, foods.) I do feel it may occur more frequently when I feel exhausted and low on sleep. [I am a law student and spend at least four night per week staying up too late studying.]

I had my blood pressure checked (normal), EKG's (normal) and another MUGA (normal). Now I have an appointment with an ENT on 11/10

I am finished with Herceptin 12/6 and I am concerned about finding that cancer has set up camp in my head. (I was dx stage 1, (w/2 small IDC + 4cm of DCIS), I had two masts, neg nodes, and A/C chemo (not T). I am hoping that my docs got everything. I know herceptin does not cross into the brain, but I thought A/C did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Shannon

CPA 11-02-2006 08:55 AM

I have seen quite a few posts from people with both sinus and ear issues after chemo and herceptin. My wife also experienced some dizziness/vertigo that was blamed on an inner ear infection and she had recurrent sinus infections. The doc said the two could have been related. Have you read the posts about herceptin side effects?

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...t=side+effects

Hope I got the link right!!

mekasan 11-02-2006 10:11 AM

I did look into the possibility of this being a side effect

I had discussed with my doctor and research "ear thumping" as a possible side effect of Herceptin. My doctor ruled it out. With concern stemming from the heart toxicity related to Hercpetin and pounding in the ear suggesting blood pressure related symptomology, he order those heart tests -With everything coming up within normal limits, thus ruling out herceptin as the cause.

The thumping is really bizarre. My own research has resulted in repeated remarks that ear thumping could be a sign of a tumor or maybe muscle spasms. I can handle muscle spasm, but I can live without the tumor.

I guess what I am really asking is whether this ear thumping can be related to brain mets?

My guts tells me that it is most likely caused by exhaustion leading to muscle spasms inside my ear. I had been out of work and school since my first mast and now, over a year late, I am back full - speed ahead. Law school is demanding, I also work part-time. I have been training to run short road races to stay fit, healthy, and sane. Every three weeks I fly back and forth from Fl to NJ so I can continue treatment with my incredible doctors. It adds up and I am very tired.

Thank you for your response. I am glad that someone read this. I did look at that link.. but again nothing related to thumping.

Sherryg683 11-02-2006 10:12 AM

If what I've heard is correct..A/C does not cross the brain barrier..correct me please if I am wrong..sherryg683

karenann 11-02-2006 10:52 AM

Shannon,

I had terrible sinus and ear problems while on Herceptin.

I had to have a brain MRI and see a neurologist because my left pupil would dialate and my eyesight would become blurry for 5 to 12 hrs. This happened about 4 times. I was finally diagnosed with ocular migraines.

I also had to go to the ER because of a benign vertigo problem. It was explained to me, that my ear was so inflammed that it caused one of the celia (I think that is the correct name) to fall into the canal which made me dizzy for about 48 hours.

I am sure that Herceptin was the culprit of both of these problems.

Problably what you are experiencing is being caused by Herceptin, but just to be on the safe side and for some piece of mind, why don't you have an MRI. You will feel better when you get the good results.

Hope this helps.

Karen

CherylS 11-02-2006 01:06 PM

Shannon,

I also have that "thumping" quite often, but have for a long time. I also get a "swishing" sound in both ears. I have ringing in my ears too. I don't think it is heart related because it is very random. I'm sorry, but all I can tell you is that I have it too. I don't know its cause, but it is really bothersome, I know. I would love to know what it is.

jeff 11-03-2006 07:56 AM

tmj?

Hey Shannon,

Any chance--with all this stress and exhaustion--that you grind your teeth at night? This kind of ear feeling (or just a feeling of fullness in the ears) is typical of people with TMJ. Maybe worth seeing a dentist if so...

Best,
Jeff

John21 11-03-2006 11:08 AM

My guess too would be the sinus reaction of the HErceptin. Doctors won't confirm this of course, but it your body. If you are concerned, go check it out for piece of mind. You do not want to kick yourself later if you wrong.

John

margo 11-26-2007 08:39 PM

Thumping in Ear / Pulsatile Tinnitus

I am being driven batty by pulsatile tinnitus. It started about 8 weeks ago. My ENT is sending me for an MRI posterior fossa (sp?) and an IAC MRA of my neck and brain late this week.

I take a sleeping pill on the worst nights. I have cut down on my cups of tea (not easy), and dark chocolate (even harder). The only vice I have left is cream cheese!

Since the last e-mail in this thread, have any of you come across a remedy that eases the tinnitus? I wonder if the Herceptin is doing this?

Debra 11-26-2007 09:08 PM

yes to ear issues

Shannon -

I don't know if I can describe it as thumping but what I have been experiencing for approximately 6 months now (I was done with herceptin in April) is a constant sound of a "boat motor" from a far distance. When it is quiet, I hear it all the time. When it is noisy around me, I don't hear it. I mentioned to my oncologist and he suggested I see an ENT which I will next month. I had no issues at all with my ears/hearing until all of this bc stuff so I do feel there is a relation to either chemo or herceptin. I don't feel it is a tumor or such; positive thinking I guess! Hope you find the culprit.

BonnieR 11-26-2007 10:06 PM

Shannon, I can't add anything to the discussion but I just want to say what a remarkable young woman you are! The schedule you maintain is daunting. And I truly admire all you are accomplishing. I hope you get resolution to your concern. Keep the faith!
Bonnie

Hopeful 11-27-2007 07:34 AM

Tinnitus

I started with severe ringing in the ears following my third Herceptin treatment (I was on the 3 week regimen) and 2 weeks on Femara. I researched tinnitus, and found there can be an estrogen component to it, as there are estrogen receptors in the ears. There are anectdotal reports of women going suddenly deaf after taking oral contraceptives, which was reversed when they stopped taking the drugs. I switched from Femara to Arimidex, and the tinnitus is less loud but still there. I had to briefly take a few Femara several months ago when my Arimidex ran out and I was waiting to get my new rx filled (love this mail in pharmacy stuff), and the "volume" went up again, so I am pretty sure it is the AI at this point. I have been off Herceptin for 4 months with no change. Hope this helps.

Hopeful

juanita 11-27-2007 06:12 PM

Age of the thread is no problem. Those of us finished with our year can teach the newcomers. I do still have problems with my ear about 1 1/2 yrs done w/ herceptin. The onc and rad onc don't know, so I'm going to see my pcp next week to see how my cholesterol is and I'm going to ask him. If he doesn't know I'll ask to go see an ent.

SoCalGal 11-27-2007 07:00 PM

I don't get a thumping but a swishing...

...for me it's always when my red blood count dips. I can ALWAYS tell that my blood is low by this swishing noise, when I bend over. It's as if I can hear my blood pumping thru my ears. (Other signs are excessive thirst and of course, fatigue). I have accurately known when my count is down over the last 10 years. My onc is still not impressed by this skill.

I notice that you are very young. Are you familiar with the YSC (Young Survivor's Coalition? www.youngsurvival.org). I know several young woman who are active.

--Flori

Adriana Mangus 11-27-2007 11:37 PM

Thumping/ringing in ear

Me too, have experienced this awful sensation, mostly in my right ear. My blood pressure is optimal for someone my age and never had any problems in that area. It's weird, but I do share the feeling with you all..

mekasan 12-04-2007 06:49 PM

follow up to my initial concern

After my appointment with the ENT, I was told that the thumping in my ear was a muscle spasm and I could have the muscle severed if it did not stop. I opted not to have anyone cut anything inside my ear, since I enjoy hearing (generally).

After getting acclimated to my schedule, I made an effort to get as much sleep as I possibly could (which was likely still too little). I noticed that I when I got more rest, the thumping diminished.

I still hear it now and then, but mostly during days when I have gotten little rest the right before. It's has become somewhat of a gentle reminder that I better get more rest.

Take Care.

pffida 12-04-2007 08:29 PM

Thumping in ear

While taking A-C, I developed a horrible sore throat. Took penicillin and it went away. However, I then developed a thumping in my ear. It was the oddest thing -- when I would turn my head, "thump"!

I went to the GP who said it was a side effect of the infection I had. I needed to take decongestants for about two weeks (even though I didn't feel congested) and it cleared up, never to return. You might want to try that to see if it clears up.

tousled1 12-04-2007 08:49 PM

I don't have thumpiing in my ear but for the last two weeks I have an echo in my right ear. Everytime or almost everytime I talk I hear an echo of what I've said in my right ear. I have an appointment with oncologist Thursday and am going to ask her about it. Aslo A/C does not cross the brain blood barrier.

Patty F 12-04-2007 08:50 PM

I just completed my 2nd A-C Thursday and have a very bad sore throat. I called the Dr today and they gave me meds for it. No ear problems yet......